Can anyone relate to this?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Johnson, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnson

Johnson Member

So there's this strange tic I have and I want to know if anyone knows what I'm talking about. Sometimes, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep, I'll think up some scenario that happened in the past that was embarrassing to me and just beat myself up over it. Like for example I'll think of a fight that I lost and I'll just feel really shitty about it, almost hypersensitive to embarrasement I guess. It gets so bad sometimes and I'll wish I could live my life over again. Not looking for sympathy, just wondering does anyone else do this?
  2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'm sure MANY people would do this(or maybe that's just my train of thought lol). I definately do it.

I tend to think of any situation that gave me discomfort. It can be really hard trying to get to sleep, because your just lying there waiting to nod off, lol. Then you start thinking about shit....a funny thin I end up doing if it's taking me AGES to get to sleep, is I start talking to myself.....LOL.

I'm wierd. :unsure:
  3. Johnson

Johnson Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night, amirite? Ha well at least I'm not the only one.
  4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Oh yes. All the time. Both at night trying to sleep and in the morning when I've just barely woken up. I'm sure this is fairly common, especially amongst people who frequently deal with insomnia. It makes sense. It's quiet and dark, your mind isn't occupied by anything other than trying to sleep. Thoughts start to wander and brain goes into life analysis mode; mistakes made, regrets, and things you wish had gone differently for whatever reason rise to the surface.
  5. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get this really bad with embarrising things that I have done. Usually if I think of something stupid I have done I will roll over really quickly and open my eyes so I stop remembering.

Now I dont really get drunk anymore I tend not to embarrass myself that much.
  6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

i wish it only happened when i'm trying to sleep

just decides to hit me out of the blue no matter where i am or who i'm wish and i always feel the emotional impact as though i were going through it all over again

definitely sucks, no doubt about it
  7. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Yes. Only seems to happen to me when I have time to stop and think like when I'm trying to fall asleep. Keeping busy keeps it at bay during the day.
  8. AlienBeing

AlienBeing Well-Known Member

Sigh, ruminating over the past has been my biggest problem for over a year and now. Not about embarrassing or humiliating things so much, just reliving and revising situations I wished had gone differently, or being angry about how I was treated by people who couldn't understand or accept me for who I was.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm definitely familiar with that. My advice would be self-hypnosis to either stop it from happening or at least make it so you don't remember it in the morning, or make yourself fall asleep sooner...

Less complicated, but less effective: stay up later and go to bed when you're almost ready to fall asleep.
  10. champie

champie Well-Known Member

For me it goes beyond embarrassment all the way to anger with people who don't back me up in those conflict situations. Then I really head into a downward spiral feeling shitty about how I've lost their respect and I've demonstrated that I'm irrational and unreliable. That brings me back to just plain embarrassment again :sigh:

Yeah, a good "do-over" would be nice. It's hard to rebuild that self-respect lost to all those embarrassing moments, but I'm here to be reminded that I'm just like the rest of the human race.

Oh, I just remembered that it is impossible to fix past mistakes by piling them up in your brains/hearts INBOX. I say send them all to the trash and DELETE. Trust me, you'll have plenty more soon enough :p And then you can do the same to those!

I hope I've said something of value. Talk to you again soon!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.