Can doctors prescribe emotional support animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally moved back to college and I'm allowed to have a cat as long as I have a doctor's note recommending that an esa will improve my mental health. I don't know when I will see the doctor. I feel strange requesting this but I know having a cat will help me. When I'm around animals my anxiety goes down. And my dorm is single. I'll feel less alone.

I don't know if an MD usually prescribes these, but maybe, or they might be able to refer you to someone else.

They might accept a note from a licensed therapist too.

Vanquished

I was given my dog for Christmas a couple years ago now. I asked 2 of my drs offices to write me a note stating she's my ESA/therapy dog. They were all too happy to do it. The majority of drs really value the help of support animals.

To my knowledge they don't 'prescribe' ESA or therapy animals, but most are very willing to support (write notes) for someone who claims to have one.

My primary Drs office and my cardiologist office were both totally willing to write notes for me. I called my cardiologist office ahead of time, and that allowed me to go pick up the note when I was able and no appt was required. That's just a suggestion.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Thing is, Drs don't give a shit whether you have a pet or a therapy animal or a dragon in your basement. They just want you to be happy so they'll write whatever you want in order for you to get the cat into your dorm. Make an appointment and make sure you have the proper forms ahead of time for them to fill out to make it as easy for them as possible.
And don't feel strange. Every single thing you're ever going to do in your lifetime someone else has done. Everything. And when speaking of doctors it's 99.99% likely that you don't have anything to tell them that they haven't already heard so relax. You're good. :)

Jazlyn

My cats are my emotional support animals. I needed a not for my apartment complex and she wrote the note with no problem. Usually when they know you suffer from some issue they have no problem writing notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00