Can dreams make you depressed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I have just woke up 30 minutes ago, and my dreams made me so depressed that i don't know how im going to make it through the day....
  2. Wozza78

Wozza78 Well-Known Member

Dreams have the power to influence life. Dreams can inspire man to greatness, or bring great men low. I often find the worst dreams are the happiest ones. When I wake up from a happy dream, the reality of life can seem overwhelming. I honestly don't know what I fear most any more, nightmares or good dreams.
  3. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Yeah I think dreams are very good at that. I actually had a dream where I was happy, then the moment of waking up and realisation that it was a dream was a horrible feeling. Although it's said to be a myth I found eating cheese before bed does give me more dreams I remember personally... maybe avoid that and try not to dwell on them too much?
  4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

The Irony is that my dreams were very happy....
  5. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

dream mess meup
    i was good but i dreamt Aimee was laughing at me and itmessed me up
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Ever heard of night terrors? It's when you have a dream and wake up fearful and traumatized. Dreams can also summon other emotions.
  7. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

I believe that dreams can make you depressed. i felt the same way when i woke up this morning. I always have a bad day, if i have had a dream/nightmare/terror the night b4.

here if you need to talk
  8. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I've always been able to remember my dreams very vividly and lately I've had some that are so real that I actually feel the sensations (I used to sleepwalk too, so hopefully that doesn't start up again). I've had several now where I've finally gotten to experience something I never have in real life, so that when I woke up I was broken.

If anything thing might help, just remember that if you go back to sleep you might get to feel some more happiness tonight. And you don't dream when you're dead.
  9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I love dreams. It feels so real. But when i woke up..... bum, reality check:(

But i want those dreams again!! No mather how much it will mess me, i want them!
  10. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

absolutely. dreams are depressing as hell. they can ruin your day, your
    week and in some extreme cases like my own, they can ultimately
    contribute to the very destruction of your ( or mine rather) life.
    I hope yours are not as bad as mine. gee, maybe some do gooder will post
    and tell me it's bad kharma or some such horseshit. golly, that'll be
    inspirational won't it? I can just see it now. why aren't those kind of
    posts considered offensive? because this is a retarded forum. that's why.
    if you tell someone to fuck off, THAT's offensive. but you can blather
    know it all swill in someones face till the bloody cows come home.
    I can't wait to see the first example
  11. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

my dreams are like the story of don juan. depending on which version.
    well, a cross between don juan and woody allen maybe. sans the
    cradle robbing. I aint down with that. fellas shouldn't be hookin up
    and having relationships with stepkids. so, woody allen PRE what's her
    name. ironic, with extremely dark humor, but less and less with each year.
    now, it's all just depressing as hell. recurring dreams about my ex wife,
    ex girlfriends, question. they're nightmares, not happy.
  12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

A depressing dream can cloud the day just as a pleasant one can brighten it. I tend to notice it more when I have a good dream. Maybe most of my dreams aren't good... I don't know I don't really remember.
  13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

well. they used to. right now, i've been having dreams of a small sign saying 'help' in the middle of my chest. i don't see it, i just wake up with a vague knowing of the feeling and somehow it got visualised into a small white sign saying 'help' like a meow.
  14. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

some nights i put off going to bed, nearly until morning, because i am afraid i will have a bad dream..... :sad:
  15. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Yes, especially cause I've been dreaming about my ex these past few nights. It's left me so depressed, I can't even take solace in my dreams - she's everywhere! :(
  16. klodo

klodo Well-Known Member

Some dreams can make me feel so desolate and empty that I don't want to go through the day.They can tap raw emotions and long lost memories in a way a torturer would be envious of. If you have a bad time awake and cant even escape in sleep then the anxiety and stress can become overwhelming.
  17. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Yes they can....they can also make you happy.
  18. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

The really interesting thing about dreams is that they are real. If you have crystal clear recall of the dreaming environment, then you will observe what is, in every way, a "physical" world.

No matter how depressing a dream may be, experiencing this alternate reality is pretty interesting.
  19. IDKwhatIwant

IDKwhatIwant Well-Known Member

lol im way to psychotic and paranoid. most are pretty violent, some with death. others are pretty morbid. i had 10 last night, only one that wasnt bad was something about living with my mother, and food was spoiling, and we needed to get it out of a container and into another container. it was stressful and i eventually just gave up and accepted that we would just starve. :rolleyes: ive had others where im dead and rotting, laying on a pile of other dead bodies. looking at something, unable to blink, or move, or smell, or breath, because im just a corpse. all i can do is watch a single object until it fades away. sometimes i can think about what im watching, other times i just lay there. i had one about a month ago where i was in all black, and could feel the bones of the bodies around me. just staring at a white dot above questioning if i fell from there. Ill have others where im fighting or trying to protect myself, and Im not strong enough to hurt them or stop them...

they leave me with a numb feeling, which is guess is depression. it doesnt affect my day, but it affects my emotions.
  20. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

my dreams make me depressed
    all of them
    the ones where i should feel happy
    down to the ones that make me scream when i wake.

in my dreams i feel.
    its not possible, but it is for me..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.