can I be accepted here?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bluegrey, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I recently joined this forum to try to find from fellow sufferers a healing path or coping mechanisms because I am suicidal. I've become alarmed to learn that I am considered an "antiquity". I am forty one but more or less emotionally stunted in adolescence and yet I don't know if I can actually relate to anyone here under twenty five because of generational divides.

I am also concerned that I might (prudently, yes) be suspected as an opportunist preying upon a vulnerable and fragile group because persons of my age and gender (male) tend to be the the persons most inclined.

I am a shy fragile basket case once again and to the most severe degree at the end of my rope. Turning forty last year didn't help here in my ageist, perfection demanding American culture. I hope I can be accepted as an abuse survivor and sufferer of major depression, OCD and generalized anxiety disorder and not just someone old, out of the loop and out of place.
  2. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Everyone is accepted here. The age, gender or anything else is not important. Welcome!
  3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

:welcome: to the forum. Yes you can fit in here. Not everyone is under 25. You will also find that many of the younger people are wise beyond their years. They have been through a lot that forced them to grow up quickly. I am considered an "antiquity" too. Feel free to PM me if you would like. I will get back with you as soon as I can should you choose to PM. Take care. :hug:
  4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

Welcome, young man. I'm 57 and have been encouraged here and have been able to encourage others. I don't know what the average age is - I suppose you're right that it weighs heavily on the young side.

We share several issues - major depression, suicidal ideation, OCD, BPD, anxiety and PTSD (those are my demons).

I work hard every day to stay on top of all of that, with the help of a support group for anxiety/depression, a class that just ended on PTSD, a good psychotherapist, a christian psychologist, a good psychiatrist, and a loving and patient wife. And add to that, support forums such as this and the 3 or 4 friends I have and a close extended family. Even though my last real attempt was 28 months ago, the thoughts are still there. By now, most days I can keep those thoughts in the rear of my consciousness, but they tend to surface every few days. Yesterday, for example, was hard for some reason.

We can both benefit from the interaction of this non-judgmental forum.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hi there!
    Welcome to the forum. One senior to another. i am 51 and still rockin. You are only as old as you feel. I am over 50, my body is starting to give up.
    I am not worried about your possibley taking advantage because you don't know who I am. Besides you would have to be a major asswipe to take advantage of ppl here at the forum.
    My suggestion is get a therapist.They don't repeat what you tell them, and they can teach you coping skills. And cognitive distortions. Plus other coping skills like positive self talk, visualation, and others. I hope this helps a little. Take Care!!:chopper:!!
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Of course of course you will be accepted here :hug:

7. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Hey there are a few of us antiquities here. 44 and struggling daily just to keep my head above the turbulent waters. But the love, caring and support you can find here in this wonderful little community is overwhelming. And there are no expectations placed upon you by others and you are never judged or labelled. You'll find too that you will want to help others as well from your experiences and once you do, the feeling is incredible. Hope you can find some peace from your demons here and please dont hesitate to pm if you ever need a comfy old shoulder!
  8. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

As gentlelady says, a lot of us "younger people" are pretty wise.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need someone to talk to. I'm good at listening:)

9. Hi,

I am also new you can talk to me I am in the same boat...
  10. Sometimes I cry allot when I feel so many did bad to me...
    I mean I been a target since I can remember I guess that is what makes me try suicide twice and did not come thru all the way once was my brother whom stopped me and the other more recently was my Mom I figure the third might work this is why I am here...

I am seeing a shrink as well she says I should focus out of the pain but its so hard... you know. I hope we all get well soon
  11. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Wow, thank you everyone. I was just being defensive and overly sensitive. If I wasn't being beaten and humiliated as a child, psychologically abused when I had to come back home to live as an adult and generally given grief for being underweight and socially withdrawn I would certainly be more optimistic and trusting.

I have been seeing therapists and a psychiatrist since I was nineteen. I credit the therapy with causing me to abort several very close calls with suicide. I did make one attempt ten years ago and it was a hastily improvised plan B after the sport shop near me would not sell me ammunition I was to use in my Father's rifle.

I do still have access to that rifle but ten years of reflecting on what almost happened have caused me find another way out of my hell. Even though my Father has caused so much pain I would not want him blamed or feeling responsible on top of grieving over me. My Mother and Brother hate him but I see him for what he is- a violent irrational man who does love us, and I love him.

I'm getting a bit tired and scramble brained and this heat here in the Northeast isn't helping things (I'm a tundra person) so I don't know what else to say. Thank you everyone very, very much for your kind replies :smile:.
  12. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Glad to have you here with us bluegrey. :hug:
  13. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hi bluegrey, and welcome. i've been here 7 months and found the forum to be a major lifeline for me. we are all ages and nationalities here and i've found we have more in common than what might seem, on the surface, to divide us. we have all suffered with suicidal thoughts or even attempts, and we come together to share our experiences and to help each other. it's a really great place. ps - i'm 42.
  14. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You know I feel old now! I had someone tell me the other day that I can get senoir citizen discounts now. Boy was that a slap into reallity!!:chopper:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.