Can I be forced to relocate?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Kaish, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaish

Kaish Well-Known Member

I know nobody cares about my problems, so I'm not even going to get into them again, but does anyone know if I can legally be forced to move back in with my father if I tell him I am suicidal? I am a 24 year old that moved from Washington State to Nevada, and I love it here, but I have encountered temporary problems that have made it difficult. I feel like things are doable, but I just need to keep moving forward. I want to tell him that I am feeling suicidal and that I need to do things a certain way (my way) in order to keep myself from feeling suicidal and to make this move possible. He however wants me to do things differently and I worry that perhaps he will get in contact with my former therapist and psychologist and force me to come back. Would that be possible though?

2. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

You are legally an adult, I dont think there is any way he or anyone could force you to go back to your father. DO you have a new therapist? Maybe you could set up like a care plan, so that there things in play that you could make use of to help you when you feel like this?

I think people would be happier to help you and work with you to get through the problems that you encounter than pushing you back, as long as you say that you can see a way forward, and just need that extra support getting there at the moment.

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

No, you can not be forced back and your former therapist and counselor are legally forbidden to even talk about you to him now.

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

As already stated, no that cannot happen. Also, HIPAA laws prohibit your former therapist and doctors from discussing anything about you to anyone, including your dad, unless you had signed a release allowing such discussion.

5. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

No. Suicide talk around mental health pros is for only when you want locked up.

Never tell my psych about suicide and can't stop thinking about it. My desire to keep out of lock up is higher than anything else.

6. Struggler_

Struggler_ Active Member

No, you can't be legally forced to live with anyone. If someone has good reason to think you're in danger of harming yourself, you can be forcibly hospitalized, but that is all.

7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

If you have no intention of talking to them why bother to go?

8. pickwithaustin

I was thinking the same thing that NYJmpMaster just said.
    Why even waste time going if you're not going to address the issue?

9. Kaish

Kaish Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I still have a fear of losing control since I was forced into the hospital once - course then again I really did need it at the time.

I did tell my father about how I am doing and he pretty much said I am on my own - he wished me well in life and everything I do. Mixed feelings because now he will leave me alone, but it is never easy to feel that your father doesn't care about you. Time will heal these feelings though.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  10. Finance

I'm typing into suicide board. I'm a bit past the talking stage.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
  11. pickwithaustin

This is horrible advice.

12. Finance

I go to get Xanax.

Business is strong. People are being forced to pay incredible prices for our grain. No time for lock up, no matter how bad it gets in my mind.

Maybe my life isn't as bad as I think it is.

If you owned a business, you may have a different perspective.

13. pickwithaustin

I own two thriving businesses, though people pay fair prices for what we do.
    Relying solely upon pills is not seeking resolution or cure. The medications are band aides but you have to treat the wound to truly heal from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.