Can I be hospitalized against my will because I have OCD?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by NexusAxus, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NexusAxus

NexusAxus Account Closed

5 years ago I was diagnosed with OCD and began treatment. I was in a pretty bad way(I had suicidal thoughts, uncontrolled fears, anxiety attacks, germs obsessions and so on) , but I eventually got a lot better, to the point where right now I only have some minor muscle tics and maybe occasionally checking stuff.

So because I feel a lot better and because the government doesn't cut the price on the meds anymore, I decided to stop the treatment ( I was on some light stuff like Prozac and Xanax anyway).

And when I told my doctor, she said that if I don't go on with the treatment, she can have me hospitalized against my will. Obviously she said she's doing it for my own good and she would like me to cooperate, so she won't go there.
    I have time to decide until the end of next week when my current stash of meds runs out.

So my question is, can she do this? I thought that in order to be hospitalized against your will, you have to be a danger to yourself and others.
  2. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

She can do something under the mental health act however, two doctors will come out and see if that is q necessary plan of action. She can attempt to get you sectioned but it probably won't stick.
  3. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

What country are you in? In the UK to be formally admitted (sectioned) under the Mental Health Act 1 doctor, 1 psychiatrist and either a nearest relative or social worker need to consent and there are strict guidelines which comply with UK/EU/UN regulations, human rights and all that, so you have to be a risk to yourself and/or others not to mention there are few beds available and they're reserved for the most serious cases. In the USA, I think it's a State-by-State issue - some are similar to the UK, some require a court order as well, Canada and Australia are probably similar to the UK as well.

In a nutshell, one doctor cannot get you sectioned just out of her opinion, and you have not demonstrated nor suggested you're a risk to yourself, so your doctor is probably speaking horsecrap, or completely naive about how involuntary psychiatric admissions work. Like someone with a physical illness you have the right to treat yourself (or not) as you wish, except in cases where your mental state is judged to be clearly impaired (drugs, drunkeness, psychosis, severe depression).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.