can i become a buddhist monk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Stewart

Yeah that lifestyle appeals to me too. Or I think it does. To be honest I'm not totally clear on what the day to day of a monk living in a secluded monastery in the mountains actually is. If it's a lot of sitting cross legged and being quiet and looking at said mountains, that sounds alright by me.

i thought of doing the same many times in my life. i guess it depends on what kind of buddhist monk/nun and where. some say that if you are suicidal or wanting to run away from the world, you should not become a monk. i suppose that's not all monasteries though. i am an american woman, so it's harder for me to find a place that will take labor instead of money. there are lots of chores, daily, which is nice i suppose. but still alot of crap. people are people after all, and you have to face yourself more than ever. being in india though, shub, it's probably a totally different situation for you.

shub11

Banned Member
india is more spiritually oriented then US ...so a bit easy to bcome monk in terms of opportunity ...butin india family influences a lot of your decision

yes, india is definitely more spiritually oriented though in the u.s. one can find some kind of group to join though it's not necessarily safe! it seems that in india (and also southeast asia) monasteries are a common institution. i can imagine that there family would influence your decision much more than anything else... so... is that what is influencing your decision? your family? what would be the impact if you decided to become a monk?

Severijn

I don't know about buddhism, but there is a pretty big Hindu movement in America and all over the world. There website is here: http://news.iskcon.com/ -- Here are some temples in the USA: http://hindutemples.us/

I've thought some time about joining them, but I've decided to stay in the Western world. Was a pretty difficult decision really.

The idea of not leaving your homecountry was easier for me, but I still didn't decide to go.

(I went to this temple for some time: http://www.radhadesh.com/ -- It was just so beautiful... like heaven really. But I couldn't give up my life here in the end.)

thanks for those links severijn. i'm in sweden at the moment (maybe why i'm in such bad shape-- the dark winter). as far as hinduism vs. buddhism, to me non-dualism is most important, so say, advaita would work fine for me. i know there is a big advaita satsang culture in the us, but something more complete would be preferable for me. in the us, there are sooo many different kinds of buddhist temples and traditions, but none of them really take a person out of the rat race. they are often more like "church" for people. in the u.s. so few people are at the temples year round, unless they pay or are priests or something. so i suppose the inclusive and immersive nature of the american branches of the hindu temples are very appealing to americans who want to completely change their lifestyle, and not leave. and everyone knows the krishnas serve delicious food. why did you choose not to leave the western world? btw that castle looks unreal! like a storybook place.

shub11

Banned Member
Me personally not a Hindu or buddist. India is a land of various faith . I am a Jain if anyone of you know abt this faith . But of late I am too much impressed by Gautam Buddha and his teachings . They are so real as oppesed to most of the other religions of the world . I will will remain a jain till I die , but I will embrace Buddhist values . I think one must embrace in what finds peace be it any faith or believe .

As per my family goes , they would literally kill me ..... They are rich , successful and famous and one of them becoming a monk is kind of dark spot on their reputation but I guess they are liberal and will eventually understand ..

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

yes, india is definitely more spiritually oriented though in the u.s. one can find some kind of group to join though it's not necessarily safe! it seems that in india (and also southeast asia) monasteries are a common institution. i can imagine that there family would influence your decision much more than anything else... so... is that what is influencing your decision? your family? what would be the impact if you decided to become a monk?
Dude India is safe and I can vouch for that .....ever come to India do contact me......

Severijn

thanks for those links severijn. i'm in sweden at the moment (maybe why i'm in such bad shape-- the dark winter). as far as hinduism vs. buddhism, to me non-dualism is most important, so say, advaita would work fine for me. i know there is a big advaita satsang culture in the us, but something more complete would be preferable for me. in the us, there are sooo many different kinds of buddhist temples and traditions, but none of them really take a person out of the rat race. they are often more like "church" for people. in the u.s. so few people are at the temples year round, unless they pay or are priests or something. so i suppose the inclusive and immersive nature of the american branches of the hindu temples are very appealing to americans who want to completely change their lifestyle, and not leave. and everyone knows the krishnas serve delicious food. why did you choose not to leave the western world? btw that castle looks unreal! like a storybook place.
I don't know exactly. I just want to give the West a try. I am too thoroughly Western to just leave it. Another big thing for me was that ISKCON doesn't allow you to have ordinary sex for pleasure. I'm just really in to women; I like everything about them. I just can't let that go :)

shub11

Banned Member
sexual immorality is neither allowed in buddhism nor hinduism

If you enjoy sex so much (and able to get sex) why do you wanna become a monk

foolnomore

Why not visit Daramsala if you are in India and speak to the monks there.it really depends on what type of buddhism you are interested in.perhaps buy a few books that explain the various schools of thought and when you have found one that speaks to you find a temple,or monastry and talk to the people there. It really is a big step if you are thinking about it being for life but there is a buddhist tradition where you can just take a year out and be a monk rather than it being a lifelong vocation.
I am a buddhist,not a nun although the life of a nun appeals to me ,I follow the Tibetan way and the Dalai lama ,.
I see you are Jainso already you hold many of the beliefs but buddhism is not as strict . I have never met any Jains outside of India but if you can live that life then you should not have a problem adapting to a monks life.

shub11

Banned Member
yeah my only problem wud be the society and family ...... and i m attratcted to buddhism only because of buddha and now dalai lama so i wud prefer tibetan school

foolnomore

Perhaps the time is not right for you to become a monk. Society and family can be problems ,so perhaps for now you should just read about buddhism,there are many sites on line there is a dalai lama site too so you can keep informed. Maybe at some point visit a monastry but just don't rush into being a monk,take it slowly and as you become more informed and more involved in buddhism your family may change their minds or you will find the strength to say 'this is what I want' ,you will now when the time is right. It could even be that learning more about buddhism could strengthen your belief in Jainism. Everything will come right when the time is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00