Can I have your opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtraSoap

So, I've been thinking of joining the United States Marine Corps. Quite a bit, actually. I honestly think that becoming a Marine will benefit me in so many ways, such as people actually gaining respect for me, the fact that I'm actually doing something useful, fighting against terrorists, and I think that it would help me with me self-confidence. I'm 17, so I can enlist next year, but I don't know if it's something that I really want to commit myself to, since I don't want to disappoint my dad. I also want to go to college, but that can wait till after i guess? or vice-versa? I honestly don't care if I die in the line of duty, because then people might actually give me some respect, even after I'm dead. Better than none at all right? Plus it would just end the pain of life in general, but that's not what I'm trying to do here. I don't know, what do you guys think?

There is the GI bill, which is basically a gift and savings for college, so you will more than likely have the means to further your education after discharge, this is a non-issue. Also, in the marine corps you may have a chance to study you passion, which you and I spoke of earlier this week.

Check the different types of MoS for the Corps here... http://futureusmarines.webs.com/usmcmoslist.htm

This is a huge step, you are signing over your rights as a citizen to the government for the term of your service. If you are okay with this, and okay with the fact that throughout your term of service you will be moved from place to place and sent to fight and possibly die for your country, weather you agree with what you are being made to fight for or not, then go for it.

I served in the Army and enlisting was the best thing I ever did. I was proud to be a soldier and proud to make my father proud. I was proud to serve my country and proud to be one of the 1% willing to enlist and turn over a portion of our freedoms to our government for the betterment of all. So you aren't free to just quit because you feel like it and you don't get to choose where you live, you have to behave in a respectable manner in and out of uniform and always conduct yourself with integrity; that's a small sacrifice to make to help change the world.

xan

Chat Buddy
Worse things than death come out of going to war. I think it's something that takes a lot of dedication and commitment, only you'll know if you really want to do it. Maybe college first would be a good choice though, give you time to consider it some more and possibly give you a better position if you do decide to join.

ExtraSoap

Worse things than death come out of going to war. I think it's something that takes a lot of dedication and commitment, only you'll know if you really want to do it. Maybe college first would be a good choice though, give you time to consider it some more and possibly give you a better position if you do decide to join.
There are much worse things that can happen to you than dying in war. The psychological effects can be worse than death, look up Eugene Sledge in wikipedia, then go to the post war career. Or just watch the pacific. or both (I recommend both, The Pacific is sooooo good). I think I'm willing to risk it though, since the Pacific war was much worse than the Middle East, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Stewart

Well... how should I, hmm... okay. Let's try this:

If I was your parent- :laugh:

Alright, no, hear me out here. If I was your parent and you came to me saying you wanted to join the military for reasons A through C, that it's really something that you want to do, understand the implications of, and are committed to following through on; I would, probably, tell you to wait until you're finished highschool and decide then. If after that period of waiting you still were certain you wanted to do it, I would suggest the Navy. Same perks as any other military division, but less chance of combat/involvement in ridiculous politically motivated invasion campaigns/injury/death.

My grandad ran radar on a couple battle cruisers in WWII and Korea. If his opinion of the Navy after all that is still a positive one, I figure it's not a bad way to go if you must go military.

Well... how should I, hmm... okay. Let's try this:

If I was your parent- :laugh:

Alright, no, hear me out here. If I was your parent and you came to me saying you wanted to join the military for reasons A through C, that it's really something that you want to do, understand the implications of, and are committed to following through on; I would, probably, tell you to wait until you're finished highschool and decide then. If after that period of waiting you still were certain you wanted to do it, I would suggest the Navy. Same perks as any other military division, but less chance of combat/involvement in ridiculous politically motivated invasion campaigns/injury/death.

My grandad ran radar on a couple battle cruisers in WWII and Korea. If his opinion of the Navy after all that is still a positive one, I figure it's not a bad way to go if you must go military.
Also, Navy basic training is about 3 - 4 weeks shorter, so they have less time to brainwash you. I remember in Army basic, when we practiced with our bayonets we had to recite "Why are we here?!?!?! To KILL KILL KILL WITHOUT MERCY!!! What makes the green grass grow?!?!?! BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD MAKES THE GREEN GRASS GROW!!!"
And compared to some of the other stuff drilled into our heads, this is very tame lol.
Of course most of us laughed about it, but there were a few who actually bought into it and allowed themselves to be stripped of all individuality and personal moral. I assume they were weak minded, though according to our DS' they were the strongest of the strong, toughest of the tough; Model soldiers.

ExtraSoap

No. If if end up doing this, I want to see combat. Do you guys think its an option for me to go to college first? I want a chance to be an imbecile before I do this, if I do this.

mulberrypie

another my little pony avatar. anyway, you can totally go to college first! would be interested in becoming an officer? best of luck with anything you choose to do.

ExtraSoap

another my little pony avatar. anyway, you can totally go to college first! would be interested in becoming an officer? best of luck with anything you choose to do.
I'm not sure how me as an officer would end up. I'm not very good under pressure, and when I have lives on the line, that would just make everything worse. I'm thinking just a straight up rifleman or SAW gunner.

And yes I have a MLP avatar! I be a brony! :D

lycoris

Well im looking at it from a uk point of view. But.

Both my parents were in the army, my first boyfriend was an army engineer, and i used to help out teaching air cadets.

My parents loved the army. They were soldiers with the risk of being sent to the front line. Well i dont think women can but still.

It can either make you or break you. It could be the best thing you've ever done, or you could hate it. If i were you i would read up on it alot more before making any descision.

But if you want to do it go for it.

Just... Dont expect respect from those you work with. You have to really really earn that.

ExtraSoap

Officer = desk jockey for the most part.
Then That's definitely not happening. like I said before anything that involves sitting at a desk would be like grinding a cheese grater to my face.

It can either make you or break you. It could be the best thing you've ever done, or you could hate it. If i were you i would read up on it alot more before making any descision.

But if you want to do it go for it.

Just... Dont expect respect from those you work with. You have to really really earn that.
And Yeah I'm trying to do as much research on this as possible. And I don't expect people that I'm with to be handing out respect, I know you have to earn it and show that you deserve it. I'm leaning towards doing it after college so I can be an idiot for four years before making a commitment like this XD

Don't do it! You can do better things with your life than sign it over to the government and have a license to kill. You will be a yes-man for however long you're there. Forget freedom, 'Uncle Sam' owns your ass, not to mention your mind. Sure there's security in the form of money, education....but believe me, you can make your own way without being a member of the service, no matter what your situation is right now. Do you want to fight unjust wars, kill civilians, be killed or maimed yourself, just because right now, you're not sure what else to do? There's plenty to do....find a no brainer job, and meanwhile discover your passion in life, something that makes you happy, makes you want to learn and become more skilled, makes you want to get up in the morning and do it again. You were put here for a reason, but not to be a paid killer in the guise of honor.

ExtraSoap

Don't do it! You can do better things with your life than sign it over to the government and have a license to kill. You will be a yes-man for however long you're there. Forget freedom, 'Uncle Sam' owns your ass, not to mention your mind. Sure there's security in the form of money, education....but believe me, you can make your own way without being a member of the service, no matter what your situation is right now. Do you want to fight unjust wars, kill civilians, be killed or maimed yourself, just because right now, you're not sure what else to do? There's plenty to do....find a no brainer job, and meanwhile discover your passion in life, something that makes you happy, makes you want to learn and become more skilled, makes you want to get up in the morning and do it again. You were put here for a reason, but not to be a paid killer in the guise of honor.
this is not an unjust war in any way. and are you saying you think soldiers are murderers? because that's exactly what it sounds like. If so, you need to get your head checked.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExtraSoap

Well, i think the Allies won WWII. If we didnt, imagine how horrific the world would be today.

(except for the Pacific theatre, that was just a lose-lose situation)

Sardaukar

but at what cost? millions died in that war, even if it was to stop hitler. they say that the ends justify the means, but at the end of the day the only loser is humanity, and the only winner is suffering and pain. It never ends, war is one of the greatest insanities of man.

ExtraSoap

war may be insanity, but it is inevitable. there will always be war whether you like it or not. And for that reason my country (and others) must be protected.

Also, if the millions didnt die and there was never a war, how many more Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, and more would hitler have "exterminated." How many more people would be systematically murdered to the point where those cultures simply went extinct? The millions that died died in the line o duty. For their countries, for others, and with honor. On both sides. Many German soldiers didnt agree with hitler but were drafted.

I don't think anyone won wordwar2,in order to defeat hitler we got into bed with another mass murderer Stalin. Millions dead,homeless,maimed. British people on food rationing for ten years after it ended. I think the Americans were the only ones who came out of it smiling,we didn't finish paying our war debt to USA until the 90's.America allowed Russia to carve up and enslave millions of formerly free europeans. Nobody won that fuckin war believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00