can I help my best friend?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Christin, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christin

Christin New Member

hi there,
    I´m new here, and never used any forum before.
    I have a very close friend who talked about suicide from time to time. He promised never to really DO it, however still thinks and sometimes talks about it. Now I´m on the other end of the world and he is having these thoughts again, still promising he won´t hurt or try to himself. I´m really worried. Has any of you experienced a similar situation. I just don´t know how to handle it.
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Hey Christin, it's not nice when a good friend is talking about suicide but it's good he trusts you enough to let you in and talk about it with you.

You say you're at the other end of the world so unfortunately you can't really do that much (taking him places, seeing a movie, distractions etc), although friendship in itself is a huge thing. Offer him a virtual shoulder and let him know you're there for him and are willing to listen to him - but you need to look after yourself, too. It could be draining and you need to take time out for yourself.

Do you have any contact details for any of his friends or relatives where he lives? If you are concerned he may end up harming himself or you are concerned about his depression then I do suggest you tell someone. Maybe try and convince him to tell someone or to see a doctor, it's the first step to him feeling better.

Here's some tips from a top prevention organisation, hope they help:

Good luck to you and your friend, and if you want anymore advice we're here, we're also here for your friend too if he decides to post here anytime - it may help him, and also may help take the load off of you. I mean, of course you want to help but like I said earlier, with it all being on you it can be draining and we're here at anytime.

Take care of yourself. :hug:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  3. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

Find out if he knows how he will do it, when he will do it, and if he has the supplies to do it. If not he's probably not in too much danger but still maybe talk to his parents or something. If he knows how and when and has the things to do it I would get him help imedently.
  4. Christin

Christin New Member

thanks a lot for your reply. i don´t know if he has talked to anybody else about it. But I know that he is seeing a doctor and I truly hope this can help him. Sometimes, I´m sorry to be away and feel like I left him alone. we keep writing e-mails and I do my best to offer him this "virtual shoulder".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.