can I write my dad a letter?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by alison, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I need to tell my dad something that he's not going to want to hear. I'm 23 and live in my parents house. I've been avoiding him and hiding from him, and I don't think I'm going to be able to face him. Would it be totally weird/awkward of me to write him a letter or email?

I know I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. Essentially I'm on medical leave from school (psychiatric reasons), and back on november 1st (the deadline to reapply to come back) my psych team thought I was not well enough and wouldn't clear me to come back for january. I've been too afraid to tell my dad, so he still thinks Im' going to be a full time student in january.

help?? He keeps hounding me everyday to get him some form of proof that I'm a fulltime student so that I can be covered on his insurance.. so I need to break the news to him asap.
  2. Well-Known Member

I don't think it's too weird or awkward. Does he know about your psychiatric situation?
  3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think this is a good idea...many times we can write what we cannot say...get a draft and sit with it a while to make sure it is what you want to say...J
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Perhaps have a member of your psych team with you and get them to explain to him It is better to be fully healed before going back to school so you can be more successful more focused on your education when you are well and strong
    Get a person from medical team okay to give you support when you tell him Just do it okay get it over with have support with you.
  5. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I agree with what's already been said. Also, I'm not sure how it works where you are, but I know sometimes you can still be included in insurance at no extra cost if you have a letter from your psychiatric team explaining the situation. If that's possible, there's no reason for him to be mad anyway. Take a look into it.
  6. total eclipse

That is a good point to bring up My daughter is 22 but is covered under our insurance because of her mental illness she is out dependant and is covered up to age of 24 yrs old. YOur dads insurance probably has a coverage like that
    It was I that found out myhusband plan did that so look into okay and get the forms from insurance company and get your pdoc to sign them and fill the part out he needs too. take care
  7. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I still haven't figured out what to write in the letter, but he might be getting home soon anyways, so maybe I need to tell it to his face. I'm not sure, but I really should tell him today.

I was reading about Michelle's Law.. it applies to full-time college students who go on a "medically necessary student leave." If I was a full time student I'm still young enough to be covered on my father's plan.. but is mental health reasons 'medical'?

Otherwise I'll probably have to get COBRA, or not have insurance. Except to be able to get back into school I have to show continued treatment and recovery. so... I don't know. I'm so overwhelmed.
  8. total eclipse

Yes mental health is medical and should be covered talk to dad okay he will understand
  9. alison

alison Well-Known Member

thanks. My dad's a complete sweetheart, he'll probably be upset I didn't tell him back late oct. when I found out... but he's always been helpful.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.