Can it get on worse again?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

So... I become depressed In late nov / early dec 07... it was worse every day, and in late days of dec i was really severe depressed... Then my depression become very mild in first half of jan, but there was period of 14 days in late jan /early feb when i was very severe depressed and suicidal...

Last 14 days my depression got on better, its very mild... I am very unhappy, but i dont feel much pain, i am not so hopelles, im not feeling guilty so much etc... But im afraid that severe depressenion will come back... Is it possible?

2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Nine times outta ten it does. Don't underestimate it's power...

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well i must overcome it once... I mean i dont have "real" depression, that one which lasts for years, but that type which you completly overcome after time... (sorry i dont know "official" names for types of depression)

I already had depression in Late 2006, it least only 2 months...

This time it least 3 months... I feel pretty well lately... Maybe im overcoming it... If you feel numb (without emotions), are you still depressed?

4. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Yes. It can, and as people have previously said, usually does come back.
    And if you feel numb are you still depression? I’m going to say yes. From the sounds of things, you’re going through the same circle that I go through. Feeling numb is kind of the drop point. You feel fine, (or relatively fine at least), then you start feeling nothing, then you start feeling depressed again.

And everyone gets depressed, that doesn’t mean you suffer from depression. But having a sadness that lasts two weeks or more, and can/does come and go in sessions is considered being ‘depressed’.

So my final answer to all of the above questions is going to be yes.
    I hope I’m wrong though, and I hope you start feeling better . . . :)

5. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well yeah... ive been thinking a lot if its just a sadness "era" or depression... I think its depression... I just dont know... I feel that its coming back... every day there is a little more pain in me... first i thought that being without feelings means that you are overcoming it, but now i know its opossite...:sad:

6. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

The medical literature shows that historically, the more (as in number of) severe depressive episodes one has had, the more likely he or she is to relapse.

It certainly seems to be applying to me. Also, I cannot regain the contentment of my youth (I'm 44 now).

I gotta give kudos to Blackness' post.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's where I am--numb but also I must say very vulnerable. LOL I don't know why I'm seeking a relationship, because if things go wrong there it can be just crushing.

Hurted, ditto that. I hope you start feeling better very soon. :)

ToHelp

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for replyes and kind words...

Lol sometimes i feel so guilty to bother you with my teen depression which will probaly take some months, while other people on this board suffer for decades cause of major depression...

Just one more thing... Do i have more chances to get major depression when i get old then other people, who were not depressed during teen age?

8. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

That's just ridiculous. :) Feeling guilty, I mean. "Bother" us any time you need to. Anyway, found this for you, Hurted.

"There is evidence that depression emerging early in life often persists, recurs, and continues into adulthood."

The is source is About.com

Don't you take that as gospel, you hear? It's just a study or two. Plan a good, regular life. :)

ToHelp

9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks... i have few more questions... i will post them here, so i wont open another thread...

First about myself... I am 100% shure that i have depression for last 3 months... But i dont know if i have it in past... Is it possible that depression least only 1 month?

Also in past two years there were lot of periods, which leasted from 7-14 days when i feel depressed because of stupid things, like i suddenly want to live in USA and i was depressed for it for 14 days... Is this any disorder?

And one more thing, connected to my mother...
    My mother always had very hard live... emotional abuse in childhood (she still had traumas) plus hard live... In last decade she has been working a lot plus her father passed away 3 years ago, and she cry almost every day because of him... lately i warn my mother about my depression plus she find out that i cut myself... today we were talking and she said to me that she dont have depression... that she is just very tired because of hard life and that she need rest... She said that she take antedepressive pills to avoid depression, to beat sadness... Did she lie to me, so i wouldnt worry? As far as i know she have pretty obvious symptoms of depression...She even didnt go to work for 4 months because if her sadness...
    I rather now truth than lies...

Thanks for help...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  10. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hey Hurted :)

"Also in past two years there were lot of periods, which leasted from 7-14 days when i feel depressed because of stupid things, like i suddenly want to live in USA and i was depressed for it for 14 days... Is this any disorder?"

Well there are not "stupid" reasons for chronic, on again, off again depression. :) What country are you in?

And I'm not ignoring the issues with your and mom, but my dear there is nothing I can do for her--nor is there any way that I can tell how really feels. Do you see?

You're going through so much. I looked through some of your posts and I really, really hope that are getting help for YOUR depression. You're plenty young enough to get a good handle it if you stay on top of it.

Anything else?

ToHelp

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  11. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks...
    I know that you cant tell me diagnose for my mother, but i just want to know if something like this exist... That you are sad for 3 years, that you sleep all days and hardly go to work, but it isnt depression...

I was tinking about Chronic Depression (Dysthymia)... but i read somewhere that it doesnt have big impact on your life...What i defenetly cant say for my depression...

12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

No, you're right. That description fits "major depressive disorder," the formal name for it the states.

"Dysthymia" is not chronic depression; it's described as a "low-grade" (almost hidden) depression.

And you're welcomed. :)

ToHelp

13. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Hm.. this sound very interesting... Maybe i have this dysthymia since 2006...
    Lot of times i feel sad, and i was feeling that i change in past year... maybe it was dysthimia...
    Is it posible that dysthimia become depression? I mean serious depression...

14. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

It sure can, unfortunately.

Hurted, I'd like to thank you for making me look around about this stuff. :tongue: It's I how learn. :yes:

Yet, I am no professional. I'm not a doctor. So your psychophrenia combined with the depression combined with any meds you make take is WAY over my head.

Hey. I saw this (clicky) and learned quite a lot. For example, "double depression"? In all my reading over the years, I had never heard of the term. :eek:

The best part about all this? It's treatable. ...Might take a few trial-and-errors with different meds, now. But at least our depression does not to be fatal.

We can learn just a few, very simple truths about life and that knowledge alone can help us all to keep going strong--not just "numbed" to everything, but genuinely contented and satisfied.

One of the most powerful tools (it's actually a reminder of reality, but...) is gratitude. Gratitude doesn't only mean being thankful for what you have. A lot of people miss this. It means being for thankful for the troubles you don't have.

Another "tool" is learning to think in positive ways and to tell that negative voice, well, to got to hell. Do you know what perspective means? Perspective is how you look at things, and you (honestly!) can change the ways you think and it not magic. It's changing habits through practice. It's catching yourself whenever you see something you no control over and say "gosh what a shitty life."

(That's if you have no control over what you don't like. If it can be changed or you can behave differently, then that's power in your hands.)

And finally the last thing I'll mention is that you do have to love yourself. How, you say? Monitoring that inner voice is one step. We all have this constant "buzz" just like the Universe at large has its constant low "noise" (this is radiation still emanating from its eplosive beginning).

We too have this contant buzz going, which is self-talk, that can be changed like any other habit. It's a fact that people can and do change. If you see the loving, kind parts of yourself and champion them (give them emphasis) over and over and over, you'll start to believe it.

ToHelp

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  15. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for help:) It looks really interesting...

What is funny and sad at the sime time is, that i know what would cure my depression in second... It is girlfriend:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.