Can kill ourselves, but not even think about killing others?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by hi my name is, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi my name is

hi my name is Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever thought about this hypocrisy? I don't mean to bring this into a negative light but how is it that we go about hating ourselves and the hand we were dealt with so much we could kill ourselves but when we hate someone else or there situation we don't go and kill them?

I could never ever ever kill anyone or anything! except for myself it seems :( when a spider is in my house or any other bug I find a loving way to bring that wee guy to outside, or if my dad gets the electric fly swatter out I hate that thing and try to stop him, but when it comes to my beautiful life I could fit myself into the darkest corner of doom and end it instantly. Well, I know if I actually go through with it, which I have tried before, I go into zombie mode and behave exactly like one, no thoughts just doing it. But I don't zombie out and kill others?

Either way just a random thought.. what do ya feel?

2. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

hey, while most people here seam to be busy hateing themselves and murder is preatty hard to get away with there r people here (guess significantly less?) also becoming "homicidal" while in suicidal mode.
    As for me i started to lean on the idea suicide is murder cause it takes some cruelty to do that to oneself (thet i dont have but my medical pity side is starting to suplement) and yes i ponder alot why should i go kill myself and not take some of those that made me suffer with me.

3. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Maybe we hate ourselves more than others because we know A LOT about ourselves and in our darkest mood we think we can judge ourselves. Morally speaking killing yourself is wrong but nobody looks upon a suicide victim as a murderer who kills to gain something. A murderer often kills for gain, be that something tangible or not.

And as for the bugs, I'm a full grown man but could never kill anything. I've swatted stinging things but that's self defence and fear. I hate it when things buzz around me and panic a little. I won't use fly spray though.

What strikes me is that you show a kindness to these insects which is more than the kindness you show to yourself. If the life of an insect is valuable enough for you to wish it to keep on living then maybe you've not got far to go before you realise that you are a LOT more than an insect which cannot create anything of beauty and purpose beyond the basic 'programmed' activities it does.

Maybe your just young and feel like some ugly caterpillar or pupae. Imagine a butterfly before it emerges - maybe they feel insecure and think "is this all I will ever be?"

You do need to talk to someone though. Even if its here then at least you've put your thoughts on the table and not had to worry about being judged here. Everyone feels like you do sometimes. Its normal but if it goes on for weeks, months and years, then you have to reach out to someone professional. Speak to your parents or maybe some uncle or aunt you trust. If you are unsure of who to contact then someone here will tell you.

Hope your life gets better as the month goes on. In the UK its normal to feel moody with all this dark gloom weather and no sunshine on our skin to cheer us up with a natural 'cure' for depression.

You do not 'zombie out' and kill others because lets face it, even squishing a fly is pretty much too much for you to take. That's sweet. I'm sure some young man will one day appreciate such a kind nature. Unless you squish him!

My regards and heartfelt empathy.

4. sunshinesblack

i think these type of imbalances come up cause of cultural bg, different cultures single out certain traits/states they loath and if u fall in one of the categories u end up hating urself more than anything cause thats what u r suggested to do and told to think more than anything
    I guess i keep some respect for antisocials cause they r good at sniffing this stuff out and staring clear themselves from it
    This being sayed society just exercises pressure on its inhabitants cause thats how it works, its not always right but thats how it works

5. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

I suppose it's because we think we would help ourselves by committing suicide, finally stop hurting and get some peace. So, in that sense it would be doing something good, not bad. Not that I'm propagating suicide, but I've been having these thoughts all my life, on and off, and it seems like a possible explanation. Hope you find help and stay alive.

6. thoso

thoso Member

'The killing' of yourself is not the primary act of the typical suicide. It's an unfortunate byproduct of the primary act, which is to end the suffering and pain.

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Maybe that's what's different about suicidal people and average people? I think that the average person when confronted with a particular situation, would be able to kill someone or something. If a criminal broke into my home and threatened my family, I would have no problem pulling out one of my guns and shooting him. Does that make me a bad person? I don't believe so.

8. S1l3nc3r

S1l3nc3r Well-Known Member

What is some one elses life for you or anybody else to take from them. No one has the right to end anyone elses existance in my opinion.

If permission is given by that person then it's different because it falls under assisted suicide though which I do agree should be a legal act. If done in the proper way.

Just to add I don't "hate" myself or try to blame "the hand I was delt" we make our own choices in life the bring us to where we are. I will agree that some people do have things and illness happen that is out of there control but I'm not talking about those circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  9. sunshinesblack

I think its not entirely true. For me i think about suicide alot because i feel am worthless and less than human and will never do batter. Yah there's pain in there too but i think if i had hope it would
    be well bearable.

And to some extent I also have the "cant kill fly" problem, i cant get myself very often to hurt others even when they deserve it.

10. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Well-Known Member

Eh... For me to kill someone else without their consent (as if you'd even get that) is clearly wrong, as it's not my life to take. Suicide is the complete opposite. If I choose to kill myself, I obviously agree with it. I see no problem here.

11. thoso

thoso Member

True - I agree, which is why I included the 'typical' because most but not all suicides are so 'easily explained', in the lack of a better expression.

12. sunshinesblack

did not realize am so atypical :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.