can listening to music about suicide lead to it?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wants2die, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wants2die

wants2die Well-Known Member

I read some where that someone actually killed them self from listening to all the death metal songs about suicide out there, so do you think that music can lead to suicide?
  2. pisces-music-girl

pisces-music-girl Well-Known Member

Nope. Music is (was) one of the reasons I'm still alive. Sure, I might SI when listening, but it would take something a lot bigger than music to drive me to kill myself.

That's just my personal opinion.
  3. White Dove

White Dove Well-Known Member

i think it might lead to it... but it also depends upon how the person listening to it feels and what their mental state is in when they listen to it
  4. johnsmythe

johnsmythe Well-Known Member

Music inspires many different emotions so I wouldn't surprised if someone who listened to the "right" song at the "right" time might do something extreme.
  5. Blackness

Blackness Guest

no I dont think so. I believe that people who are suicidal ALREADY tend to listen to that kinda music.
    So I htink this person would have killed themself link to the music.
  6. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I listen to Sentenced when I'm down, but it doesn't make me more suicidal. Only metal song that triggers me is "Follow the reaper" by CoB. Not because of the song, but the last line reminds me how much I want to die ("I was only 21 when I died").
  7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

No more than watching movies about bank robberies can lead to bank robberies.

The only filter that matters in life is the one in your head. You have to run everything you see or hear through your own filter. Something isn't working right if you think you should kill yourself or rob a bank or whatever because you saw it on TV or heard it in a song.

There are legitimate reasons to be depressed and upset. If the only reason why you're depressed is because you're listening to depressing music, don't listen to depressing music. I don't think anyone ever killed themselves because of music. They were already upset and suicidal. The music they listened to was just coincidence.

If something clicks in somebody's head, who knows why it happens?
  8. fbug

fbug Member

Nope, it sure hasn't worked for me. I've downloaded a whole bunch of them and still no effect.
  9. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Of course it can. Hear me out now. People who are suicidal will naturally listen to music that conforms to their mental state (I have done this in the past).

For example, if I'm feeling upbeat, I might listen to music that is uplifting and makes me feel favorite 80's tunes (Walkin' on Sunshine, Blister in the Sun (for the beat), some Billy Joel and even Bare Naked Ladies), but if I'm feeling sad I go towards Pearl Jam, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Pink Floyd, etc.

The bottom line is that when I feel happy, I listen to music that makes me happy, and when I'm depressed, likewise. If I am feeling just a bit sad, happy music makes me feel better, and if I choose to indulge in my unhappiness, sad music will make me feel worse.

So I can see how sad music could push an already suicidal person over the edge, but it would not be the main factor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.