can love last long distance

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by andyc68, May 10, 2008.

1. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

i have found someone who has captured my heart, i love her and she loves me, this i dont doubt at all.
    but can it last the distance, we are talking 1000's of miles at the moment.

sf has my undying gratitude

love you c

andy x

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

It can if you are both commited to each other and getting better.

I wish you the best of luck.

:smile: :unsure:

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think it can, lots of people do it and its works out.

Good luck Andy :hug:

4. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

It can definatly work, even if it takes more effort it is so worth while in the end.
    i wish you all the luck in the world.

5. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I think it depends :dunno:

I've had a long distance relationship, also thousands of miles. We loved each other to death, and we would've given the world to each other if we could.
    Then I went and ruined it, but she and I both know that if I hadn't ruined it the way I did, we wouldn't have lasted either. For us the distance tore us apart. Not just literally. :sad:

Though I think it IS possible, depending on the situation. If you can see a future together, if you're able to visit each other often enough and maybe eventually can see a future where one or the other moves, or you both move to a totally different place. Then I think there sure is a future :smile:

:arms:

Wishing you the best :hug:

6. whybother?

whybother? Well-Known Member

i met sum1 on here, she lives 120 miles away from me, loved her to pieces, wud of given her the stars and moon if she asked for it, havn't seen her in over a year now, due to jobs,money, college, and her personal problems, for me long distance relationships DO NOT work, im on the verge on just cuttin my arms to bits right now cuz of this, dont go thru wat im going thru, the emotional pain is to much to bare :sad:

7. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Yea i can work. Ive kept the relationship with my Pesian boyfriend almost 7 years, even so he is in CA and i moved to Europe. We only saw each other like five times, but do phone each other a lot. Cant wait to move back to CA.
    Good luck, it can work.

8. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

It can work, if the people are serious about it, but it can be hard, and it can be miserable. I'm in one myself, he's clear across the world, we've been together nearly a year. Good luck, dear. :hug:

9. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

It depends. How old are you and how much time are we talking about? Are you positive that neither of you are engaging in a relationship that cannot possibly be requited because you are afraid of it? Many vulnerable people start long-distance relationships over the internet as a way of getting "close but not too close". By doing this, they feel loved while at the same time keeping a safe distance so they can't get hurt. I wouldn't generally recommend it if you have never met that individual in person and if there is no resolution in sight. Long-distance relationships can't last forever.

10. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think it can work, but my advise is simple.

Get together as soon as possible....because eventually that sort of distance will break any relationship down, no matter how strong.

If you love her, go to her :smile:

11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Well I think if you both feel the same way for one another and are dedicated to trying then go for it. Love has a strange way of overcoming many obstacles. You can make this work if it's what you really want! And I agree with MJ, go to her Andy, let her feel your arms around her as soon as you can!!

12. MaNg0s

MaNg0s Well-Known Member

Well depends on your age maturity has a lot to do with it. I used to think that long distance relationships could never work I loved my gf to death but she didn't care for me as much as I cared for her so it didn't. If you both really do love each other then yes it can work but things like trust might be an issue when it comes to long distance. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

13. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Sigh. As ever, Anya comes in with her practical, specific advice, and ruins the streak of all the depressives saying "yes, of course long distance relationships can work." What a killjoy. It's as if she's trying, in her misguided way, to make people actually better.

14. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

^ I don't see anything wrong with practical specific advise. Why say it'll work if it doesn't always. I appreciate her honesty. It's something more people should do :smile:

:hug: to the OP

15. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

thank you for the replies, i hope it does work.
    at 40 i think i am mature enough to handle it but i appreciate all the advce.

thank you all

16. Hazibell

Hazibell Well-Known Member

Even though its gone tits up at the mo...they can work. i think they do. its whether it can work if you move it into being in person or not if you ever want to.

17. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

I have to say, I don't know if it can. Long distance is a killer, eventually most people feel like it's just not worth it. If you want to give it a go, especially if you CAN meet with her a few times, you'll have some really good times and some great memories. It's just up to you whether you want to attempt it even though the chances of it succeeding long term are not brilliant.

(and that's just the long distance stuff, not the SF stuff. You might end up feeling like your relationship is either you comforting her or her comforting you all the time, nothing else. Does make it more complicated too. Perhaps that's the reason for all the failed relationships on here.)

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom, I'm sure for some people it does work :) Just wanted to warn you.
    Just follow your heart :hug:

18. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

It depends. My advice: If you love her, go to visit her. And not just once.