Can OCD return after I ceased treatment?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by TheCreepyOne, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCreepyOne

TheCreepyOne Member

I have obsessive compulsive behavior, and had it since I was a kid.Back when I was 15(I'm 21 now) it has gotten pretty bad(that is when I was diagnosed with it).
    It was worse then the usual obsessions, and it went into deep depresion which made me think about suicide a lot,and worse,I was at a point where that anxiety feeling tha t I got when I didn't followed my "rituals" started not only to become stronger,but also to appear without any reason(no particular obsession trigered it).
    That is when I decided to get help.

Now, 5 years later,I am fine,been off treatment for 4 months, and in March I am scheduled for a psihologic exam.
    The problem is that in the past month, I started having some obsessions again, aswell as some feelings of unease(light anxiety?) so I don't know if I should call my doctor or if I should wait.
    I heard that this disease can't be fully healed, so maybe feeling like this at some time after I ceased treatment is normal?
    I just feel I am sliping back again.
    What do you think, should I wait?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I would call your doctor hun get it undercontrol before it gets too bad okay OCD can return hun so maybe meds are needed again hugs

3. Severijn

Severijn Well-Known Member

Hi.

As was already said, I would contact your GP/Psychiatrist and tell them what you are going through.

Medications might be needed again, but you also might consider CBT or BT therapy.

Something pretty effective against OCD is called "ERP or "Exposure and Response Prevention". Perhaps it's an idea to bring it up with the doctor that is treating you. A combination of medicines and therapy usually get the best results, and maybe it's possible that you will only need ERP therapy (or CBT therapy) later on.

Check it out here: http://www.ehow.com/how_6345658_overcome-ocd-erp.html

Hope this helps, and take care.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  4. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

OCD is a lifelong struggle. Some people can learn to overcome the worst of it through meditation and hold on to only the least inconvenient of rituals, but if it gets to a point where you are having trouble functioning in society you really do need to go back to your doctor and resume treatment.

I have a very mild form of OCD myself, where I have to have an even number of everything I own, if one breaks or is lost or otherwise damaged and I can't repair it I have to acquire a new one or discard another of the ones I have or I go into a frenzy of emotion and become severely depressed. This is something I have learned to deal with throughout the years and am working to overcome without medication, but if it were any worse than it is I would not be able to do so.

I don't know your exact situation but it sounds like yours is a bit worse and harder to control than mine, and my suggestion is to call your doctor before it takes over and you slip back into a dark place. I wish you the best of luck, you are in my thoughts.

5. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

all i know is that ocd is hard to get rid of. i have ocd with door locks, oven knobs and numbers i e counting things on ceilings etc even numbers. you will get it under control someday.

6. TheCreepyOne

TheCreepyOne Member

Me too!. just that I need uneven numbers.My tv sound is always on uneven numbers,I own 31 PS3 games,and I always hit refresh on my computer 5-7 times.
    However, I had a ton more obsesssions,and still have some.
    PS:It's weird to think having even numbers doesn't bother you :D

7. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

Haha! I kinda feel the same way, stepping into your home would be like the twilight zone for me! Odd numbers; I think I'd have a heart attack! lol It is nice though, to know I'm not alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.