Can playing music really uplift your spirit?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by KittyGirl, Mar 28, 2010.

?

Do you dabble in music?

1. no... I've tried; but don't have a knack for it :(

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Never tried, and don't really care. -__-

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Yes! Infact, I happen to be a musician! :D

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. It's a hobby, really! ^__^

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

What does everyone think?
    Are there any *happy* musicians here? T__T

I feel like for the most part; playing music just channels my sadness... but music is meant to hold all sorts of different emotions, right?
    I used to feel quite content while playing my flute or ocarina. The sound is just too light and airy and fun to be sad while playing it-- but somehow, I can't even feel anything from them anymore.

Do you play any instruments? Are you classically trained?

I am classically trained in Flute and Piano(in school. I never took private lessons). I taught myself to play the ocarina- my dad taught me to play classical guitar- and I also play Tenor Sax, Trombone, Oboe and Piccolo. < I was a bit of a band geek from grades 5-8. I didn't join band in highschool because conceptual art took up too much of my time... and music theatre kinda covered my musical side. > The only instruments I own though... are: flute, ocarina, nylon string guitar, electric guitar, keytar (lol) and keyboard. I used to own a tenor sax, but my younger brother ended up selling it so that he could afford karate lessons.

note to the wise: when you move away from home-- take everything of value with you!!!!! XD

2. legat0

legat0 Active Member

That's an impressive list of musical instruments you know! I'm actually quite jealous.

Growing up, I only learned how to play the piano and that's it. Although I'm not that good, I do feel at peace whenever I have enough time to play.

3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Ah; my family is very musical.
    I was forced to play the guitar as a small child and had 'family lessons' every day. If my family had stayed together, I know that I would've really hated to play music, since it was something that I was forced to do... but I started playing on my own after my parents separated and took music all through elementary school.

I wouldn't say I'm anywhere near being a professional for any of my instruments- I just play for something to do XD
    I practice very hard to be good at music though-- it's not as if I was a 'prodigy' or anything silly like that ><
    It's important for younger kids to get into music, I think. It's much easier to learn when you're small... once you grow up- your brain is too crammed full of useless things for you to store lessons the same way. lol

I do encourage everyone who is perhaps... not the happiest camper- to give music a try though.

4. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I'm very much NOT a musician, I come from a family of engineer nerds lol... but I do play a bit of piano. Lately I've been playing some of my old classical sheet music from high school and its quite soothing, I like it a lot. Also, we have a book of billy joel songs, so I like to play and sing along (obviuosly not in front of anyone, haha), but it also lifts my spirits.

At least for me, I think it serves as a distraction that is not destructive (my other distractions are SI, binging/purging, drinking etc lol).

5. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I find music generally amplifiies my current mood..

If I'm really sad and play music, I could get even more sad... as is to being happy. Then again I guess that just goes with being bipolar.

6. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I've never had any lessons, play a bit of guitar and have messed about with the piano a bit, although the guitar I have right now is so battered i need a new one to get the motivation to play some more. I usually use music as a way to distract me from how I feel and try to play things that are fun to play and sound cool, so yeah can cheer you up I think..

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

maybe my spirit is made of music, i can't do without it :smile:
    i don't play an instrument, i just live.

8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

music can uplift me but it can also make me depressed. I remember when I bought evanescence's second cd and started to listen to it over and over and I started to get really down so I had to stop...

but normally the songs I listen to cheer me up...I love singing and well some songs I sing well and others I dont...dont want to be a singer though...dont think I could handle the pressure with my anxiety and social phobia...

9. simon

simon Antiquitie's Friend

i have certain songs on my computer that just by putting them on makes me feel a load better
    like beach boys - kokomo and ELO mr blue sky.

10. Tomas

Tomas Well-Known Member

I write music in several styles and it never made me feel better. I'm not sure how a sad person could make happy music.

11. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Music really effects my emotional state and wish I knew how to play something but instead I play iTunes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.