can self harm be suicide attempts?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Danialla, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I have researched this thing that I do completely so when i am overwhelmed and feeling stress I take a bunch of a certain analgesic..........this serves to make very sick and but could also lead to liver failure. I haven't told anyone but notice that I am getting sicker for longer periods of time. I don't want to die of liver failure, but part of me wants to die. Have I crossed the line from self harm to attempts? is there even a line? What can I do, I afraid I can't stop.
  2. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

This is a tricky question to answer, since everyone who self harms does so for different reasons.

The short answer is ... both yes and no.

The question isn't whether you could, hypothetically, die from the form of self harm you use. The question is whether that is the intent. When you self harm, do you want it to result in death? If so, then it could, hypothetically, be considered an attempt.

Even then, if there's a part of you that hopes you don't, I would hesitate to describe it a full blown attempt.

I think, for some of us, self harm becomes a form of practice. It's like... to explain it better, when I self harm, I dare myself to get closer and closer to the point of an attempt... as though challenging myself to see if I 'can' do it. But I don't necessarily want to die when I'm doing this.

Even if self harm isn't intended to be an attempt, it is still important to seek help for it. There is a very thin line between the two for some of us. Some people who self harm will never attempt suicide, nor really want to. Then, many of us (myself included) use it as a way to prevent making attempts... and therefore, it becomes clear that we are suicidal. The line for people like me (and perhaps you if you are asking this question) is really thin, and you will generally know once you've crossed it.

This is a pretty good guide. I highly recommend talk therapy for it, too. While I am not in therapy at the moment (due to cost reasons, not by choice) when I was... I responded strongly to talk therapy for my self harm. While it had no impact on my eating disorder, my self harming behavior decreased dramatically while in talk therapy. It, also, helps to find safer alternatives to the self harming behavior.

All the best and take care.
  3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

:thankyou: for the help guide Some Nights :hug2:
  4. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

The help guide is good thank you somenights!

Danialla, I think the line can be thin for some people but not all sometimes I wish an accident" would happen but I don't necessarily want to die, it's complicated feelings.... talk to someone if you can it may help you and maybe they can give you some support that you need , the help guide that some nights gave you has a lot of good alternatives.. I wish the best for you
  5. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

The guide was very helpful, thank you and thank you everyone for your help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.