Can Slipping mean I'm falling into an old habit?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Just-a-Nightmare, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I've been gone from this site for quite sometime. All in good faith though I was, well I thought I was better. The key word being thought. I have to admit I have slipped and have done small unnoticable cuts every three to two months. Should I expect this as a positive? Like a learning curve? I admit to others that I have been a cutter and I'm no longer embarrassed or cringe at the term of cutter. I keep telling myself that it means improvement. Is it?

Still I find a sick fascination for knifes or razors...It's unsettling and I feel stressed again and almost tempted to cut, just one more, just one more. But I fight it, I just feel like I'm losing my resolve again. I mean I was doing so well for a long time. And now, perhaps it's because I'm going to be a senior next year and everyone in my family is expecting that I'm going to be this ivy league student or something.

Do I still have the hope to wade through this storm and stay away from my habit? Can I?
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Firstly, I just want to say very well done for quitting SI, that is terrific.

You can find the strength inside to fight the urges, if you want to. But only you can make that choice.

Making a slip does not mean you are back to stage one, or have reverted to cutting. It is down to mentality, if you think it is a slip, and intend to keep fighting, then it is a slip, but if you see it as starting again, then it can't be seen as a slip.

Maybe now, if things are tough, you should think about finding a therapist to help you deal with the root cause that makes you want to harm.

You can fight it if you want.

Take care and good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.