can soda increase anxiety, depression and anger?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by morning rush, May 28, 2014.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I've been a few days without soda and I have to say that I am less angry and depressed. Could soda have made my symptoms worse?
  2. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Caffeine can exacerbate symptoms of both mania and anxiety. So, the short answer is yes.
  3. randomguy9

randomguy9 Put's the "Pro" in Profanity Chat Pro

I don't know the science behind it... but in a group therapy session a therapist did say caffeine (found in soda) can increase anxiety.

It works the body up... which is good for a person like me who is a *zombie in the morning... but if there is already anxiety in play (which there is for me) caffeine can make it worse.

I don't know about the depression and anger part of it.
  4. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

caffeine can also increase a person's depressive feelings... when you start "coming down" from the caffeine high... or withdrawing from it
  5. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I think the reason that theses sodas and things such as coffee can increase anxiety is because of the sugar and caffeine content which is giving your body a boost of sugary energy increasing the heart rate and blood flow, essentially when this wears of you crash which can cause side affects.

It has been known in some instances that high caffeine users can suffer heart problems although this is rare. It is worth noting as well there is a hell of a lot more sugar in juices than people realise thus not a good replacement for these drinks.

Drinking soda and coffee can also mess with your sleep patterns, the expression goes if you need to set an alarm in the morning you aren’t sleeping enough. I know I am guilty of that and straight on the coffee. Exercise is more good for you to give you energy, and also lift your mood in a more natural healthy way
  6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I am definitely less angry since I stopped. I feel like I'm recovering from something since I stopped, not sure what's that about, but I guess we'll see in the next few weeks.

I do drink juice, but less than when I drank soda, so I think for now that it's a good alternative. I was so thirsty all the time when I would drink soda, but when I drink one juice I don't need to drink more. I drink water too, lots more than before.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yes, caffeine can increase anxiety levels. I do not know the science behind it. But throughout the last few years I have been told to quit caffeine(which I eventually did) ... they also said if you do drink coffee or coke or whatever don't drink it past 6 or 7 pm because it can affect your inability to sleep too.