Can someone advise me? Alone and sick.(tw medical details)

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Hazel Morse, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Hazel Morse

Hazel Morse Well-Known Member

Sorry for the novel, but I can't even contact my therapist in Australia because it's still night! Basically I'm trying to rationalise myself away from chucking everything and finally going through with it.

So...on top of everything, for the past two days I've contracted a kidney infection. I've let my health go over the last month trying to get everything done with work and now I'm literally pissing blood.

I have a list of things that need to be done so that I can receive my last salary and all the money I am owed for airfare, etc. Already I have not met some of the deadlines, but there may be a chance to get the money if I can get the things in by Wednesday (It's 2.30 Tuesday morning here in China). I haven't asked my supervisor (who signs the completed list so that I can get my salary) about this because she might dismiss me out of spite.

Despite my illness, I came in to the school yesterday and worked from 6am the full school day - needless to say, I wasn't working very effectively because I was so sick. My supervisor grudgingly let me go to the doctor's on the student buses at 3.30. We aren't allowed to identify our medical issues to her, so she believes every sickness is just a cold. The doctor said to stay out of school so that I could come to the clinic in case of emergency.

When I got home last night (in China, there is no taxi service during rush hours, so I dragged myself on public transport) I was so sick that I forgot to notify the supervisor by phone and emailed her instead.

I'm thinking of calling her at 6.30 am (we have to notify before 7am) telling her my doctor's instructions and asking her point-blank whether I can receive my last salary if I don't come in today, and if it is possible for me to complete the work from home.

Do you think this is a good idea? Should I try to appeal to the principal (who likes the supervisor) if supervisor says no? Would that make the principal not want to be my referee?

2. NinaZ

NinaZ Active Member

Big hugs to you Hazel, first and foremost.
    I would do two things.
    Ask the doctor's office to call your workplace and notify them of your issues and/or give you a note in the very least verifying your condition and your absence for that day.
    The second thing you should do is ask for a meeting with the principal. That person may be your supervisor's friend but I would think they are professional and compassionate enough to help you out and frankly, at this point, it doesn't sound like you have much to lose.
    Brian777 likes this.
  3. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

This sounds like good advice Hazel. The main thing is your health, the sooner you get away from that place the better.
    Take care of YOU first......
  4. Hazel Morse

Thank you very much.

I've already got the doctor's office to give me the note; however, I'm so terrified of the second thing you said. I don't want to be seen as a nuisance when she (the principal) has a million things to do in the final week.

Just scared in general to speak with the supervisor - maybe I'll send a text & then speak in person...
  5. Hazel Morse

Yes, I didn't think it would literally kill me to stay on, though I often used to say it.

There's been so much dodgy practice at this place. Once I wasn't paid half my salary for six months, and then took a massive loss when they finally paid me back. Teachers, heads of school, supervisors and admin staff often leave in the night, often stealing a lot of the school equipment when they do. I've never complained for 6.5 years - it is easy to bully me so I just kept my head down. Unfortunately this makes me a target and people try to blame lots of their own mess-ups on me.
    Brian777 likes this.
  6. Hazel Morse

Ok, successful contact via text, so that's good. But have not asked after salary, so...
    Brian777 likes this.