can someone explain please

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by amethyst, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amethyst

amethyst Member

I have been on here a little while and I have posted before, so I am not STRICTLY new but I have a few queries and I didn't know where else to post them, and I think here would be the best place.

Ok, I have felt really bad on many occasion, but I have never been to a doctor or saught help because I don't feel I can. When I joined this site and began reading posts I didn't/ still don't understand what people mean with a couple of terms, this means I can't relate to them and I want to be able to so I can help or so I can understand what I am feeling myself.

So can I ask. What do people mean by crisis and triggering. And are there any other terms people could explain that I might not know.

I'm sorry this is so naive but I didn't know where to ask this/ who to ask

Thank you
  2. RunningAway

RunningAway Well-Known Member

I 'think' this is correct

Crisis - when you are in an immediately dangerous situation or when you literally can not cope anymore and need some help rather quickly

Triggering - things that may be said that may make people feel worse. People have different triggers - some may be abuse or relationships others may self harm.

3. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

RunningAway has pretty much got it :smile:

But I will add this:

triggering, or trigger - If it says it in the title of a post, it normally means "don't read unless you are safe (i.e. Not being in a bad way or unlikely to be made to feel worse by reading it)"
  4. kath

kath Well-Known Member

Hey welcome and please dont feel bad for asking - it is what we are here for.No-one minds helping anyone here - well in my experience and we have all been new to the site at some point after all!!

i tell you what its interesting you ask the questions you do cos as a side point i have just recently got my first job but there they use a lot of abbreviations and i get very stuck at times!!To the extent that i almost feel it would be good if they could provide a glossory to people coming into the organisation.......maybe we should do the same for SF or the internet lol!!!When you cant relate to peoples terms it can be horrible and make things so much more difficult i know.Please dont be afraid to ask though.

I agree with what the others have said above.A crisis is where you feel you need a immediate help and support and for some reason things are especially bad for you right then or maybe you dont know the reason but again things are really bad.

Triggering is something which you can identify that has happened,been said or done to make you feel worse.Triggering at the beginning of a post can just mean beware and be careful when reading and that you should consider very carefully if you really should/want to read this post if you are having a very bad time yourself and feeling fragile - when displayed in the title it can just be a warning to others but can be valuable and it is courteous [in my opinion] to add this warning in the title of your post for the benefit of other people using the forum if you feel it warrants it but dont panic if you arenot sure as im sure moderators etc can probably add trigger warnings etc if they feel it is necessary.A post displaying a trigger warning may be more detailled,involve sensitive subjects,a lot of emotion or be heavy going or from someone in a particularly difficult situation or having an especially hard time or if someone feels their post may upset or offend others.

im not very good at explaining things but hope that helps.

Other terms you may want to know regarding the forum or chat:

PM - private message
    TC - take care
    BBL - be back later
    DK - dont know
    LOL - laughing out loud

I hope these help.You are probably way ahead of me but i list the above as these are the specific ones i can think of right now i struggled with when i first used the forum and/or chat!

But feel free to post on the forum to ask anymore questions or private message me if you would prefer to ask that way or if you would just like a friend.i hope that you find the forum helpful.There are lots of good people here.

Sorry my post is so long and not very clear!

Take care
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

:welcome: to the forum. i am glad you asked the questions you did. If you have others in the future, feel free to ask. the members are very helpful here and will do the best they can to help you understand. :hug:
  6. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

:welcome: to SF i think your questions have been pretty much answered but i look forward to seeing you around the site TC hun:smile:
  7. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Welcome to SF and I'm glad people could help answer your questions :)
  8. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

Just thought i'd join in and :welcome: you to the forum :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.