Can suicidal thought become a "habit"?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Chaddiwicker, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaddiwicker

Chaddiwicker Well-Known Member

So, mood wise, I'm not as bad as usual today, but thoughts of killing myself still keep going through my head. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that I just wish I was dead. Still can't imagine ever being happy. Still low energy. Still want to hide in my apartment and never come out. Still don't like the world. Just not as "sad" as a typical day. Not happy either.

Does thinking about killing yourself become a "habit" after having thought about it for so long?

2. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

I believe it can, not so long ago I had suicidal thoughts daily, I almost expected them.
    But over time that habit diminished and now the suicidal thoughts when they come around almost seem they need my full attention, so I guess the habit does still exist, it's just not as bad.

3. Silverpuddle

Silverpuddle SF Author

I think they can. I know whenever I get anxious enough, I immediately start working out plans to kill myself. It doesn't even matter if the anxiety is over something transient--I tend to panic in crowded big-box stores, for instance--the thoughts go straight to suicide, and I find them calming.

I'm trying to break the habit, but I don't currently have any thoughts that work better than suicide at calming me down.

4. nobody man

nobody man Well-Known Member

It certainly can. In the book "How I Survived When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me", the author said you can become addicted to suicidal thoughts... It's a good book and I suggest it to everyone here, but it didn't work for me.

5. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

I can tell you from experience they can.

Even as my depression lifted I still had intrusive suicidal thoughts even though I didn't really want to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.