Can Suicide Prevent Murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
Can suicide prevent murder? In other words, is your anger directed at suicide instead of at other people? If that is so, then it would mean it's your suicidal feelings which prevent you from killing somebody else. In that case, suicide would be preferable because it's better to kill myself rather than kill somebody else.

Anju

Well many people class suicide as murder...to me it's no better you killing yourself than anyone else. It's still a human life gone before it's time. Plus any action that is fueled by anger needs thinking through...

mdmefontaine

Antiquities Friend
hmm.
very interesting question.

i believe that any intentional taking of viable human life is murder.

however, in my eyes, nothing is black and white.

there are shades of grey. situations, people, times - all vary.

and. . . i do believe that there is always hope when we stay alive

your life can change in an instant -
and when you are alive, you have always, the chance, the hope, of creating the life you truly want.

death is un-solvable, un-correctable, un-changeable.
murder is unforgiveable.

whether by homicide or by suicide, it is a waste of something precious.
just my opinion.
thanks for posting xxxx (hugs)

CCK

With suicide the person dying knows and chose it. At least the person dying isn't innocent and has the choice of life or death.

fromthatshow

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
"I'd rather hurt someone than hurt myself" - Senses Fail
Just had to throw out that lyrics.

My therapist said that if you have suicidal feelings it means that homicidal feelings were at some point directed at you, me and probably for most people in childhood. For me, it was on a very subtle level.
But either way, I still feel suicidal, not homicidal. I don't think I'm a threat to anyone but myself.

jjjoooggg2

This idea was actually in a movie called the "Yakuza", the older movie, not the new version. According to the movie, in eastern culture suicide is more poplular. And in western culture murder is more popular. I think I read that in Japan suicide has a higher rate even among American residences. I think some that commit suicide do that after killing someone else or wanted to kill someone else. Whether these cultural differences are true I don't know. I just heard of it.

Brighid Moon

Member & Antiquities Friend
Well, my rages are usually all turned inwards, so that makes sense. But I don't think there's a moral compass about it. I'm not sure murder and suicide can be compared really, except that in each someone dies. Suicide is something one chooses for themselves. Murder is you making that choice for someone else. But war is murder, in mass scale, and people keep doing that, too. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

shades

Staff Alumni
Unfortunately, there are a lot of murder/suicides in our country (U.S.). In many of them an individual ends up killing his whole family then himself. So there's a very fine line between those, whose rage/depression or other issues are turned inward, and commits without injuring another and those whose issues are so great that he commits an act such as mentioned above. I don't think that being suicidal guarantees that no harm will come to another.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
One of the previous participants stated that suicide is murder. Well, if suicide is murder, then it's the perfect murder, because I won't wind up in prison.

triggs

Account Closed
taking your own life is just as bad as taking another, however when taking your own you have more of an idea about how many people you're hurting in the process.
that's what i think anyway.
if anger is what's causing you to want to do this then i suggest you seek prefessional help - it does work and can ease a lot of pain and suffering in the long run. you can have a happy life if you try to sort your anger out.
i hope things go well for you :hug:
thinking of you :heart:
triggs xx

Suicide is by far preferable to murder. How anyone can think otherwise...?:blink:

By murdering someone you are taking away their life by force. They are not given a choice.

By committing suicide you are making your own decision to die. I can respect that.

Murder is not a decision I can respect.

I would much rather someone take their dangerous feelings out on themselves then at other people.

maranature

In the Middle Ages, suicide was classified as a sin against God for which you'd be sent to Hell etc (cf Kingdom of Heaven film).

Recently a couple in the UK jumped off a cliff because their baby died of a condition of some sort. Sad story! On the other hand, kind of illustrated our contingent humanity.

plates

if i killed myself it would be murder. it would be murder by the people who have abused and fucked around with me. but it would be recorded as suicide and a 'choice' and nobody would be responsible...and the people who had abused me in the name of "love" me would cry and feel sorry for themselves as they do when i'm dying in front of their face. or they'd hit the bottle, like my sister and internet stalker.

morning rush

I think that you need to deal with your anger and why you feel like you want to kill someone...and by finding an outlet for your anger maybe it will diminish that feeling of wanting to kill someone...

I've never wanted to kill anyone but myself...I'm the kind of person that will hurt myself but can't hurt others...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00