Can they even do this?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by sinnssykdom, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I have a friend who got drunk few days ago and passed out and now her psych doctor is deeming her unsafe because of that. She was not trying to kill herself, she was just a stupid teenager and had a bit too much. I'm assuming it's because of her previous psychiatric history(which did not include drinking by the way) that the dr thought she was unsafe. So basically she's been stuck in the hospital since like Sunday or Saturday night i think it was. She's under the age of 16 and in Canada. I really don't know how the hell the moronic dr can keep her for that.

2. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Chat Buddy

I'm not sure of the system there, but you may not know the whole story. Also her parents/guardians may have influenced the decision for whatever reason as she is underage. If she is truely not a threat then they won't keep her there for long, but be happy in the thought that she is somewhere safe at least :hug:

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I am sorry your friend has to do this to herself...I think we under-rate drinking because alcohol is legal once one has reached the age...yes, she might have been a 'stupid teenager', but she also has a history of doing harm to herself...it is better that she is receiving care than taking a chance...sorry again, and I hope she is discharged soon...J

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

She is a danger to herself alcohol is a substance that can cause sever damage if taken at a young age She could have died from alcohol poisoning as with any drug I hope the doctor does keep in hospital for awhile to get support systems in place to help your friend hugs.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

can you go and visit her? i'm sure she'd like that. i did when i was in the hospital.

6. sinnssykdom

Kind of a messed up story, but i actually met her when i was in the hospital. So yea, i am totally aware of what it's like and what the doctor's can be like. She OD'ed once before, and before that she was just having a bad day at school and her school counselor sent her there.
    I know what the dr is like she's a retard and has had many complaints cast toward her. She blackmailed me when i requested to be moved to the adult ward(i'm 19) to have a different doctor.
    Anyway as of tonight she's still there. Her parents didn't put her there because her mom is away on vacation and her dad kicked her out and hadn't talked to her in atleast a week or two. I know she wasn't trying to kill herself though. She's always had a rocky relationship with her parents.
    I visited her last time she was in(i met her on her first time there and my third) and now this is her third time and i haven't visited her, i may though... and i may not. I've always told her that if she ever needs anything i'm there and last time she specifically requested me to come so i came but this time she hasn't so i probably wont unless she does.
    Again i realize it's a tad messed up that we met in the psych ward. ha. We don't hang out a lot we just hang out every once in awhile.

7. Pretzelsinc

Pretzelsinc New Member

Try to remember this doctor has years of experience and education that you do not. This doctor has no ulterior motive toward ruining anyone's life, that person is doing their best.

Also, getting hammered to the point where you PASS OUT, is very serious. A drink is one thing, two, another, 3,4,5, still probably won't make even a serious lightweight pass out altogether. Your friend exhibited behavior of someone without any self control. It's women who get drunk like this, that are more easily taken advantage of unfortunately. That night nothing happened, but what if she was in a different area? Wrong place, wrong time, and you can't even ID your abuser. The doctor might also be trying to prevent something else from hurting her recovery from her issues.

8. wOOt99

wOOt99 Active Member

It does seem like her parents are worried about her and are taking additional precautions just encase. The doctor's assessment might be wrong but most likely her parents are trusting in that assessment because he/she is an expert in his/her field. If there is nothing wrong, most likely she will get out pretty soon.

Massive Kodiak Bear Hug!

:awww:

9. warrabinda

warrabinda Well-Known Member

just a point to remember is even if you are extremely close she may not have told you everything. there may be solid reasons for the detention.
    xx

10. sinnssykdom

yea im aware she may have not told me the full story but i also know this doctor, and to be quite honest she should not have her medical license... at all.

anyway she got out the other day... she was there for almost 2 weeks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.