Can very young children have suicidal ideation?

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I'm really worried about my 4 year old nephew because he keeps talking about dying. Today he was saying that he wants to "die forever" and he's said things like this before. I read that kids as young as 6 can be suicidal, I guess it's not impossible to think he could be feeling that way too. I voiced my concerns and said I was worried about him. I asked him if he was happy and he said no. He had a serious look on his face. And I asked if he was sad but then he just kind of laughed it off. He does seem happy...most of the time anyway. No idea how he really feels inside. But it really does make me worry. So what is the best way to find out what is really going on with him, and how to help him out?

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Four year olds are too erratic to know for sure by asking honestly. He likely would need actual professional help. Do you think that's gonna happen at all?

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
There's no real way for you to find out anything. You can be there as a safe person. And if possible get him play therapy or something like that.
It is possible for it, yes, because a lot of things children get from conception - from what they heard before birth etc, fleeting passing thoughts of the mother, hereditary. No blame, but yes, it's true. There are things I've struggled with since I was younger than 4 - too young for there to have been an environmental cause.

You can be a safe space for him. You can just be there for him. Sending hugs...

merlin123

I'm not sure if kids that young know what death is, but why would he say those things? Talk to him, make him feel supported, and if you can, take him to a psychologist. My nephew, who is also 4 years old, is struggling too, and when he's going through a lot of stress he starts saying things that he shouldn't say

Do you know if he's doing ok at school? If anyone is treating him bad?

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I knew what death was when I was his age, but I was scared by it. I didn't feel the urge to want to die until I was a teenager. I'm not sure if anyone else takes what he says seriously, just me and my mom. I think he is fine at school and I know that people treat him badly. I just wish he would open up to me more.

Innocent Forever

πŸ’πŸ₯œπŸŒ
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I knew what death was when I was his age, but I was scared by it. I didn't feel the urge to want to die until I was a teenager. I'm not sure if anyone else takes what he says seriously, just me and my mom. I think he is fine at school and I know that people treat him badly. I just wish he would open up to me more.
He is only 4. He may not open up to you but he will see you as a safe person if you stay that...
People know when others care for them even if they don't speak to them.
((hugs))

MarvelFan

Vanity of Vanities
I'm really worried about my 4 year old nephew because he keeps talking about dying. Today he was saying that he wants to "die forever" and he's said things like this before. I read that kids as young as 6 can be suicidal, I guess it's not impossible to think he could be feeling that way too. I voiced my concerns and said I was worried about him. I asked him if he was happy and he said no. He had a serious look on his face. And I asked if he was sad but then he just kind of laughed it off. He does seem happy...most of the time anyway. No idea how he really feels inside. But it really does make me worry. So what is the best way to find out what is really going on with him, and how to help him out?
I can answer this. He like I was at 5 learned about death and might be transfixed on this and it can lead to alot worse things later on in life.

There is somewhat a fix for this. The people that are in charge of him need to not expose him to any more death or show him any movies where there is death in it.
That will help him in the long run.

In the short run the people around him need to show him where there is life in this world such as baby's being born, young animals being raised and also to fill him with all the positive thoughts you can. Also get him involved in some activity such as sports or lots of play time at a park with a family member to take his mind off of it.

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
This is what worries me because in the last decade, the age range at which people commit suicide has become younger and younger. Back in the day, you never saw suicides at such a young age range. So why this worsening of the suicidal youth? I've heard it being mentioned that social media can actually put more pressure on the young. Do you others think that's true? And is it harder to make a living nowadays?
And California has so many homeless that it looks like a third world country. Back in the day, you never saw that many homeless.

Claus

I think perhaps it is what the child is being exposed to as MarvelFan said. Media can play a large part in development. Although, at the age of 4 is when I myself began to start remembering things. I think for a lot of people this reigns true as well. So honestly... I wouldn't say his feelings aren't entirely truthful, but again, he might just be reflecting back what he is taking in. I'd definitely take him to a child psychologist or something of that sorts just to be safe. If he talked this way in school, whenever he is enrolled, they will definitely send him to a school counselor anyway. It's best to take him before that--at least in my opinion.

Although, do be careful of doctors putting the child on medications. It's very dangerous at this age because the brain is still in development. So don't let people convince you to put him on meds unless it's absolutely necessary--which, to me, is very unlikely that it will be so dire...but you never know. Really does scare me when doctors put kids on these heavy medications like for bipolar disorder or whatever and they're like...7...and I'm like???WHY??? ....I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that. I doubt it will, but if it does--be sure to tell his parents that they can say no. Treatment is most likely better if it's talk therapy, but doctors these days just throw pills at anyone sadly.

I should add, I started having suicide ideation when I was about 9 years old from what I remember. So kids having these thoughts, as uncommon as it is, is not impossible.

Hoping for the best for you all.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I think he could benefit from therapy as well, it's not in my hands though but I hope things get easier for him. Thank you everyone for your advice, it's much appreciated.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00