Can you be addicted to the hospital?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lotr2012, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotr2012

lotr2012 Active Member

I have started going to psychiatric hospitals when I was sixteen. I am now twenty four, and over those years I have been to psychiatric hospitals over fifty times in my life. This seems like an every day occurance. I get depressed, I get anxious, and then I automatically jump to being suicidal or taking measures to hurt myself so that I can go to the hospital. I just constantly feel the need to check myself into the hospital. I know that I have been so much that they are more of a hurt than a help now. But i'm still just yurning to go. I think i'm going crazy. How can you be addicted to a psych hospital? I just want to not feel this anymore. I am feeling more and more latly that I have to do something to get in. This is where the self harm comes in. I'm terrified that one day I will accidently take it to far. I just want to feel normal. My moods change so often that I don't know what the hell to do. How do I overcome these urges and live a productive life?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes one can become addicted to being hospitalized hun it is a safe place a place to have someone to talk to a place where there is help when you need it. Lots of people get hospitalized hun hugs to you

3. yep

yep Well-Known Member

You have said you do not want to die and are afraid that cutting may kill you some day by accident. You havent described what other suppport you get and how you medication helps you. As you have been so many times in hospitals the likelhood is that you would continue going until you die.. unless you start looking at alternatives to calm your anxiety. I recomend to get some advice from someone who was struggling with suicide for more than 20 years and managed to find ways to cope. She is Susan Rose Blauner and wrote a book you need to buy now "How I stayed alive when my brain was trying to kill me"
    Help yourself lotr, these hospitals may be helping in the short term but you can have a better life in the long term.

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hospitals and intensive care, although presenting many negative things, also provide a place of safety...maybe that is what you are seeking, and should explore with a professional how to create an environment outside a hospital which can provide that for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.