Can you ever recover from chronic depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by darkrider, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

I suspect i've had it for much longer, but I became aware of depression when I was 16.

All of a sudden I realised I was completely empty, alone and confused. It's like I woke up to the reality of life. I started at college and I would walk alone at breaks, around the streets and in the park. In classes I hardly ever talked. Hardly made any friends.

Fast forward over the years since and i've regressed. I'm 21 now, and I feel utterly dead inside. It feels like there's nothing left to take away, my mind is an empty chasm. At my age there's no hiding my embarassing life situation.

I've overstayed my time in life. I think I realised this long ago. Now it's time to take the final step.

2. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

My feeling about it is, there are two types of people with depression.

1. Psychologicaly depressed (emotional) who with good counselling, psychotherapy can eliminate from their lives.

2. Psychiatricly (is this such a word??) depressed, someone who has a recognised mental illness and some form of chemical imbalance in the brain.

The latter of the 2 will probably always have the traits of depression but it can be managed.

These views are by no means certain, but just my opinion.

3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Graham is pretty much right on: one deals with emotional elements and one with chemical. Coming from a family with both, it is important to define it early and start treatment one way or the other. It might take years, as in the case of my father who tried several meds for clinical chemical imbalance and finally found solace with prozac.

4. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

Is it simply chemical, or something deeper that can't be explained? I guess that's a stupid question really. I've never felt like I belong. Never.

5. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I feel the same way I have been like this since I was 12/13....No medication has helped me for longer than a few months.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  6. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I got told it was a chemical inbalance at first, thats when they wanna pump you full of meds. Its a load of bullshit quite honestly. Not saying it doesnt exist as a scientific observation, just saying life is more complicated than that.

There is an historical timeline of actions, inaction and circumstances, that I can trace back to my pre-teen days. Ive been suffering with this for years...and for some people it really is, I believe, about managing a condition, rather than finding a cure. You really think years of history, interpersonal events and environmental factors can be overcome by popping pills? No, of course not..

Find your own way, recognise its a major problem, reach out for help, talk about it as much as you can stomach, as much as other people are prepared to listen.
    Its not an easy road, but it is doable, there are cases of people with long term depression that start living again. No reason you cant do the same.

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

^i agree. i thought i was chronically depressed. i realised so much had to do with what was going on around me. i wasn't depressed last year. but i guess i had been dying for 6 years prior to that and didn't fully realise why that was until recently. it wasn't only a chemical imbalance, no way

8. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

In my opinion (I know it isn't worth miuch) in order to start healing from depression, is to kknow exactly why you are depressed in the first place. I found out why I am depressed is because:

I. I am overweight (Neither attractive or healthy).
    II. I am lonely.
    III. I no longer have a car.
    IV. All I have is 2 RL friends
    V. Cause I am not in school, and
    VI. I have no girlfriend.

I know that some are harder than others but if you give it a lot of thought, it will work.

Then trying to see what you can do to fix your situation.

for example, to lose weight.

1. Drink water instead of soda pop.
    2. Exercise even for 10 minutes (Me personally, I recommend walking cause you can hit two birds with one stone by help losing weight AND reducing stress, I usually feel better after a 25-30 walk.
    3. Stay away from sweets and fatty food. ( I also recommend reading the NV or w/e it is called on the side of a product like cereal.) Replace them with fruits cause fruits have a sweet taste and are much better for you, and if you have a hard time eating veggies, I will start with just carrots and unbuttered corn.
    4. Keep a journal and write down what you ate. You can study and analyze it, and see [visually] what you should of done different and improve on.

What I love about SF, is that we ALL are dealing with something. I don't know all of your problems but at least to me, it feels good to know that I am not the only one dealing with stuff. There is a lot of stuff that I tell yall hear that I don't to most people on another forum that I am usually on, they would make fun of me there and disrespect me cause they don't understand me, and how I feel.

One thing I have to agree with is the Sirealan (mispelled) prayer. It said, God help me accapt the things I cannot change. The Power to change the things I can. And the wisdom to know the difference. Even though I don't believe in God, I agree with that. Cause I can't change the fact I am black, or that my grandmother is gone. But I CAN do something about my weight.

If anyone wants to talk, PLEASE PM me, you will put a smile on both our faces.

~Bryant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.