Can you get better without meds?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ~Claire, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of getting better without being on meds?

I read an article a while back that said depression naturally lifts within 6 months but my cpn said it was probably closer to a year or 18 months & even then chances are it would come back & the period would last longer.

Claire xx

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Naturally lifts? I know people that have been living with depression their whole lives.
    I believe that medication doesn't do much more than make the physical symptoms that depression & anxiety cause a little more bearable, but that the only way to get better is to choose to make changes. There is no magic pill and medication won't save anyone.

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

this round with depression is the first time i'm on meds; i didn't receive any treatment last time around. without the meds or other supports i sank quicker and faster; within 6 weeks of the first symptoms i attempted. that was 6 months ago.

i look on meds as keeping me afloat, but really it's the hard work i'm doing in therapy and with the mental health nurse that is making the difference. meds help me be strong enough to make enough of the other changes i need to make in order to get better.

i'd recommend looking at it as a toolbox: what can i add that will help me get better. then just add in all the things that help you. it's gotta be personal or it won't work. you could add in - or take out - the usual suspects: exercise, support groups, meds, sunshine, work, volunteering, therapy, .... you know yourself best.

4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I'm sure that the article didn't mean this was the case for everyone.

From my own experience I have had episodes of depression that have gone away without me seeking any treatment or help but it has always returned & the thoughts & feelings have been so much worse.

I don't believe medication will save me & that's why I choose not to take any. Like Dazzle says though it keeps him afloat, it's not a cure but it does help you see the wood from the trees.

5. MaNg0s

MaNg0s Well-Known Member

I am sure you can get better with coping with depression without meds. For me my meds just help me cope especially with my anxiety issues just make the day that much easier I guess.

6. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

You can, certainly.
    Until recently there were no medications for depression. Before that for all of history people still got depressed, and coped with it somehow. There are alternatives to meds. And to psychiatry, which came into being, what, a century ago?

There are alternatives.
    Also, there is no solid proof that meds will definitely get you better.

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

There's not even solid proof that meds to more good than harm.

8. filemeunderneath

filemeunderneath Active Member

Meds most definatlely made a difference (huge difference) for many years. Unfortunately they stopped working and I am trying to get by without them. The depression is getting worse but if my body will cooperate I've heard that consistent exersize can work as well as meds for funky brain chemistry.

I think it depends on the person- for some meds really help, some find other ways-

9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I think it depends on the individual. I hear alot that meds don't work. Myself I have to disagree. I've been on them for fourteen years, other than a few adjustments they have pretty much helped. Don't think you will get some kind of buzz from them. They aren't designed that way. I need to make a med change. the prosac I have been on for the last couple of years don't seem to be helping anymore. This will make my new shrink happy because when I et him last month he wanted to put me in the hospital and change all my meds. I disagree because the other meds I am on are working.
    As far as getting better without meds, I beleive it is for the individgal to make that decision. I see alot of people who have gone off there meds and ended up in the hospital to get them selves straightened out. I ran out of a couple of my meds and I could tell the difference, One of the meds was for my mood swings. Baaammm I wasn't easy to live with for the past week!! I am back on all my meds and I could see where I turned my moods back around.
    Bottom line I have to say you need the combination of meds and therapy to help resolve your issues. Once you are getting close to living a fairly normal life then you can talk to your doc about discontinuing them. As far as I go, I will be on meds for the rest of my life. I have my reasons, I just don't want to share that much. Good Luck in your decision. Keep in mind if you are going to go off them you need to do it by what your doctor says. If you just up and quit them yourself. You could end up in the hospital because you will put your body in shock from the withdrawls from the meds...:chopper:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.