Can you hide it?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by BipoleShy, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BipoleShy

BipoleShy Member

Am I just being retarded for not being able to hide my depression at work. Its so bad that my supervisor told me that I looked like I was dying. I just told her I was tired. My friends tell me I'm an unpleasant person (in regards to talking to strangers at work), and other people are asking me, "What's wrong?"

Should I be able to hide it better? How can I pretend like I'm not emotionally and physically drained? My job might depend on it, but I just feel so terrible on the inside that I can't help but show it on the outside.

Is it it normal for it to show this much?

2. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

speaking only for myself here but learning to hide it was a survival skill i had to develope when i was very young. it's good to an extent but when i have gone to the hospital because i am at the end of my pitiful rope my job probably thinks i am bull shitting, because i don't give the appearance of being depressed. maybe if i shared some of that they would understand more. it really is a matter of letting people in to see at least in my opinion. please take care

3. Syd

Syd Guest

Hiding it is no good, I think.. you have to genuinely start working on ways to lighten your mood on your own. Try to get into the state of mind you're in with a good friend, or the state you're in by yourself just clowning around when no one's watching. I just find that little things can help - like listening to favorite songs alot, and then focus on the songs in my mind again when I need to hear something good. It's actually okay if you're depressed though, you really don't need to hide it at all. As long as you aren't complaining, people shouldn't have a problem with it. I would love to work with employees who are open about their depression, at least they're honest, and it shows good willpower - because it's twice as hard to work when you're in a bad mood than when in a good mood. I find myself gravitating towards those people more, because it feels good to cheer them up (if possible) and being depressed myself, I can relate to them.

4. Syd

Syd Guest

Also, to answer the original question.. I can act happy, but I try not to do it anymore, because it annoys me.. I don't like changing my behavior around people, and I would easily just avoid spending time with relatives if I'm in a bad enough mood rather than fake being happy. That's only if I'm very tired and have no energy though. Obviously, that's not an option for you at work.. Usually I can get myself in a good mood, and generally I feel better after having at least made an attempt, even if I still feel miserable. It's hard for me not to crack a grin just at my own silly behavior sometimes... well I tend to entertain myself and can laugh at my misfortunes. I would say at work - it would help immensely if you have a close friend to work with you, or can develop a close relationship with one or a few of your other employees. If they expect you to be in a good mood every day and are never there for you when you're down, that's not a good work environment imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.