can you relate?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by whitelighter, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitelighter

whitelighter New Member

I'm a 41-yr-old single guy, and cut myself for the first time about 2 months ago, then I did it again, about 3 weeks ago. Given my age I wouldn't really call myself a self-cutter. It's certain specific issues that drove me to it. I've been unemployed for quite some time. Yes the job market is bad but in my case I don't think that has much to do with it (long story). I tried to go back to my old job since they told me I could return. They had the exact same position open and I always got excellent evaluations when I was there before. Where would they find anyone better? But they hired this other girl who interviewed the same day I did. Somehow I just knew Ms. Goody-two-shoes was gonna get it even though I don't see how she could be more qualified. Makes me furious. If I got my job back I'd at least have more time to focus on the issues that are at the root of my depression. I figured it might help to talk to someone in the meantime, but I'd feel more comfortable talking in private. Some of the details I'd rather the whole world not know about. My yahoo messenger id is I got my nickname from the tv-show "Charmed", specifically because of Holly Marie Combs. Anyway if you feel like you can relate please pm me.
  2. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

I'm only 17 years old, but I used to be a cutter, but I managed to stop before things got really out of hand. I'm not sure if I can relate to you too well, but I'm willing to talk if you want.
  3. ThinkingCap

ThinkingCap Well-Known Member

Cutting has nothing to do with age, by the way. You're a self-cutter even if you're 70 and still going at it. It's an unhealthy coping mechanism for when things get out of hand, or you feel overwhelmed/out of control. No one knows who you are here, and specifics aren't necessary when you're trying to talk through pain. So even if you don't find someone to 1-on-1 talk to, know that these forums are open to you. You could even go into the chat rooms and ask for help there, I don't believe they keep logs of anything and only a few people would see it anyway. Try it out.

4. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

I didn't start cutting until I was in my 40s.

There really isn't a time frame. Just older people seem to hide it more.

Or at least thats been my experience.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.