Can you switch off your mind completely?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by k_pressy, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k_pressy

k_pressy Well-Known Member

Hello

I would like to know if there is any way possible to switch off your mind completely. To stop feeling anything, bad or good, to stop having thoughts and opinions, to be able to just completely switch off everything that makes you remotely human and instead live in a robotic state, where you just do whatever everyone else wants you to do, and you do nothing for yourself.

If there is such a way, how do you achieve it? I would very much like to continue the rest of my life in said way. In an effort to please everyone else, it would mean that I am still here and have not taken my own life, but it would mean that as a personality I cease to exist.

All advice welcomed.

Thanks

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I'm trying to do this, switch off my thoughts, feelings, opinions etc. but I don't think that will stop me being human or make me robotic. If I go to the cinema the more my head is full of thoughts the less I enjoy the film. So I'd like to think that the less I think about stuff the more I can enjoy the world around me.

3. Floating

Floating New Member

That is how I live daily. That is me. Numb. I joined this forum to try and figure out why. Its not pleasant. Especially when people realize that you actually feel nothing... and they do. Then your a freak. To them your dead inside and thats frightening. You will start to fake emotion so noone realizes that your a freak. You'll get so good at it that sometimes you really believe your happy or angry but when the people you're performing for go away, so does the "emotion." Then you're left with the same old empty shell. Is that what you really want? You want to never again feal sadness even if it means that you will never again feal joy, or love, or passion?

About doing what everyone else wants to make them happy... That is all you will have. Since you can't feel happiness, you'll subsist on other peoples emotions. You'll compromise your life away because after all, you don't know what you want. Maybe what everyone else wants will be sufficient. You'll do some pretty fucked up shit just to have some semblance of feeling in your life. And you'll be ashamed of your actions. Is that what you want?

4. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

I've never managed to do this. There's always something to be scared of or anxious about - even if there's nothing to be scared of or anxious about.

Relaxation is an art form which I have yet to master.

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I haven't figured it out. I just try to keep things simple.

6. yous

yous Well-Known Member

Yes people always say "mind over matter" or something to that effect. "I just don't think about it" -- how can you not?! How do people do this?

7. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

If you can get into mediation, that might help you. It'll take some work but you'll be able to switch yourself into pure relaxation in minutes once you're experienced.

8. dartofabaris

dartofabaris Well-Known Member

Orwellian Self-deception could perhaps be litmus tested, i.e. if that allows personality erosion/suppression? i works flawlessly for me.

But, confusticated is correct, the right way forward is through meditation, it helps you accept yourself for yourself and gradually you acclamatise naturally rather than resorting to your socially farcical face. But thats only if you sufficiently believe what you want, i.e. the cognitive motive should be clear before you delve into your sub conscious; my family practises it, i cant voluntarily shut out thoughts, yet.

9. Malou

Malou Well-Known Member

Prozac did something like that to me, and that's why I'm not on prozac anymore.

10. Roots

Roots Well-Known Member

I've been in that robotic state, or "zombie-mode", only focusing on pleasing other people (and ignoring my own needs). It didn't make me better or anything and I couldn't keep it up. Most people break down eventually. It would be better if all the pain and bad stuff went away, so we could all just enjoy ourselves. It's not impossible. We just have to keep looking for ... miracles, and make it (the search/life) interesting along the way.

I try to be positive (I know I'm weird). =)

By the way, I'm on Prozac now (been on it for a few weeks), and it makes me ... like this.

No, I can't switch off my mind completely over a longer period of time.

11. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I wish i could. Even my dreams tease me with cruel visions. Sometime i want to do like Forrest Gump and run miles after miles non stop, too bad i'm a smoker....

12. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

Close, I seem to dissociate a lot more when I'm in pain. Just this very washed out feeling as if I'm drifting away from my body. Unfortunately the weight of my overburdened mind is still there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.