Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by among the stars, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. among the stars

among the stars Well-Known Member

cancer...that word scares the shit out of me...i thought after what mom went through that would be it but...this morning my grandmother was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer - she'll be having surgery and possibly radiation. The doctor thinks my grandma will be ok after that but it is unknown what will really happen following the surgery.

my world has shattered so scared.
  2. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry to hear this - I hope she'll be okay. Try to stay strong, for her sake. :hug:
  3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Forms of cancer that were a virtual death sentence ten or twenty years ago are now being considered manageable- like diabetes. Breast cancer, treated early has a very good chance of being eradicated. Please remain hopeful about your grandmother's health.
  4. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

My dad was diagnosed five years ago - but lucky it was a timid cancer easy to treat.

A friends dad diagnosed ten year ago but still here and active and in no pain.

Hell, pain is the main worry really as we lose our dignity when we suffer and don't want people to see us vulnerable. But pain is treatable and opiates are a gift from God when it comes to using it to tackle physical pain.

A friend also got diagnosed last year but chemo is working fine and he has put on weight after some loss.

Your job now, after getting over the initial shock, is to be there for your grandmother. I was out of town when mine died - I regretted it and still do. Grandmothers are special people. I miss mine even after all these years.

Anyhow, don't worry about cancer. We used to call it the 'Big C' but now, its often easier to treat than most things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.