cannabis and sleeping

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by sandalwood, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandalwood

sandalwood Well-Known Member

lately i started smoking weed again here and there and i've been having a good time, only it seems now it makes me incapable of sleeping without having really really bad urges to commit suicide racing through my head for ages. i was wondering if anyone else had experienced this with cannabis? i never used to have this problem before. it's literally only as i lay in bed. i wish it would pass as it used to help me feel better about living and be able to sleep like a baby.

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

It might be the particular stain of cannabis that you're smoking just doesn't agree with you. The more THC in it (ie the "stronger" it is) the more it will apilify your mood, in your case making you more suicidal, and it's happening when you lay in bed cos there's nothing happening to distract your mind leaving it to run on and on. I'd advise anyone not to rely on cannabis to make them feel better, cos basically it doesn't work like that. Personally I try to only smoke when my mood is good to begin with.

3. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

brilliant response. I really couldn't have put it better myself.

4. sandalwood

sandalwood Well-Known Member

ah it's okay. i don't rely on it to feel good, its just something i noticed. hopefully it is just a bad stain for me, although i think maybe i should lay off for a while and just keep it for those moments i feel really good as you said. i think this is a problem for me in general, as i feel the need to be intoxicated most days.

5. antpi1e

antpi1e New Member

Im the same way...I smoke all day and it makes me feel good,,,then sometimes at night I just lay there with my eyes shut not being able to fall asleep...thinking about bad shit.

6. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

I wouldnt recommend using any un-prescribed substance to help you sleep because it will make you dependant on the drug to get to sleep every night, and unless you have a constant supply of weed then your going to be in for a lot more sleepless nights.

7. hydrocronik

hydrocronik Member

Ask your "guy" for an indica strain. Indicas put you to sleep, sativas are head highs.

8. betteroff

betteroff Member

Cannabis usually makes me merely depressed instead of being happy. But it's probably because I don't like smoking cannabis and I much more prefer keeping my head clean. Or it actually might be one of it's effects, I don't know.

On the other hand I have always slept like a baby after smoking.

9. jstacko

jstacko Guest

After smoking for several years, I personally have been clean for about 2 months now. During those years, as well as several years before, I suffered from depression, self injured, and had suicidal thoughts.

I don't know if you are on any medication for your mental illness, but if you are stop smoking. Honestly. People take meds for mental illnesses, then they still either do drugs, drink, etc. Yeah... all of those substances effect you mentally, so they basically can void out the meds.

If you aren't on meds, but you suffer from depression and all that jazz, you should still probably either cut back, or stop for a while. Really, think about it. Is it worth it to have that last bowl pack, when you might end up going over the edge? If you choose to smoke, that is your choice. But you should make sure you are in the right state of mind when you do any mood altering substance.

10. astrife

astrife Member

Yeah, I smoked the other night and when I was trying to go to sleep I started becoming extremely suicidal. I made up a detailed plan in my head of how to go about it. I am definitely going to try to stop permanently: I really think marijuana has pushed me over these past couple years.

11. Ripx

Ripx Well-Known Member

exactly, weed is a mood amplifier. And i also find tthat when im trying to sleep that my mood is at its lowest for the entire day.

12. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I've been a regular smoker for over 30 years but found when I first started taking ADs I was feeling real bad. Decided to stop smoking to give the meds a chance to work. After taking them for two months and losing all motivation to do anything I've sacked them and gone back to smoking. My sleep has gone back to normal but if I'm feeling really down I won't smoke because as others have said it is a mood amplifier. What I do find though is that when I smoke the nightmares stop. Or at least I don't remember them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.