Cannabis

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Jinxed, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinxed

Jinxed Member

I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice regarding my use of cannabis. I have been smoking resin (weed very rarely) on a daily basis now for 8/9 years, which is a scary thought in itself. I smoke when I get up, before work, after work, before bed, basically I only smoke normal cigarettes in the company of others or during working hours.
    Reading through what I have already written scares me as I have never admitted the extent to which I use this before. I have a good job, am studying in my free time and lead a pretty sorted life on the outside. On the inside I'm a mental mess but thats the way I always have been.
    I guess its obvious I should quit but I am scared to, I know this is not meant to be an addictive drug but I know I use it to make things a little easier to handle, if I stop will I cope?
    Has anyone any advice?

Thanking you kindly in advance x

2. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Taper off slowly....cold turkey sucks! If you find that slowly but steadily avoiding it, it may be easier to do. Lotsa luck man! :D

3. glass_samurai

glass_samurai Member

My experience with cannabis has been quite different from yours, even though I've smoked for about the same amount of time (8+ years). It was different in the sense that it killed my motivation to do anything and encouraged me to isolate. I couldn't study or work when I was intoxicated. So what follows may not be relevant to you.

Weed was like a cushion between me and the outside world, even though it deteriorated my mental state - more paranoia, less self-confidence, etc. Whenever I stopped, I did it cold turkey (which may not be what you want), and was like being thrown into a pool of cold water. Suddenly the cushion was no longer there, and life was shot at me at point blank. It was quite distressing, and in many cases I found myself using another drug to compensate that loss. Stopping slowly may make it much easier, or may not work at all. My experience with pot was that as long as I had pot in the house I would smoke it, and once I was intoxicated, all my resolution vanished and I was always telling myself "I can smoke one more".

However you stop, I think you need to make some major adjustments to your life, as all that energy that once was burned by the pot will have nowhere to go (except another drug, which is the same kind of coping mechanism). Having some new activities ready helps a great deal, mostly physical activities such as sport, or playing a musical instrument, etc. Activities that aren't associated with pot will be of great help at first, otherwise you will follow the same routine as before and every other thing you do will scream "pot". If you choose to cut down before you stop (which is most likely your best plan), you will probably be able to make adjustments as you go along.

In short, stopping will probably give you much energy to spend, and also much frustration at first, a bit like stopping cigs. The hardest part is the first two weeks where your mind is likely to be racing. So my only advice to you would be to find both activities to spend that energy and also look for relaxation techniques for your inner state.

4. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

im afraid i dont have any useful suggestions but making the wise decision to quit is probably the hardest step.

mentally you have decided to quit so hopefully you will be able to continue thinking that way and quit doing cannabis.

*fingers crossed for you*

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Member

Thanks for the feedback. I know I need to stop but I am not sure if I am actually ready to do so. The main reasons being I know as long as I have cannabis in the house I will smoke it and I am scared of what I will do if I dont have that to calm me. I am worried my si will escalate as I know now I use cannabis as a calmer for my urges.
    If I am honest it does have a lot more negative effects in my life, I have isolated myself and have no real friends, I never go out and get bad bouts of paranoia when I do.
    I know I need to stop I just dont know if I can.
    Thank you though.

6. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

DUDE, took just now 1 hit of stuff thart is appearently very good.

Me B4=I hate myself for making the mistakes that I'm making in life! Storming around the house, angry/suicidal & talkin to myself about it.
    Thinking of the methods that I have access to & ready to consider it/planning it out & seeing my self commiting very easily(I've accsess to many options)
    :smoke:
    Me-after I'm spacy and my mood suddenly changed for the better!. I'm only a human, my race can hardly be called perfect in every way at all times. Humans make mistakes and they mistakes are to be learned from. I might have gone through w/ it.... and it's possible the weed stopped me from *byebye* atitude and mine was extreme I had the method(s) in my hand literally.

Now I have not smoked cannibus for quite a long time(found someones pipe-remains). I'm misspellin words , then going back to correc t it so I gota so enjoy my good mood while it lasts, no ione will read this anyway, but I HIGHLY encourage it's usage :yes:

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Can I ask you guys a question? Has smoking weed caused any spiritual experiences like seeing spirits and astral travelling etc. I've heard that this can happen with marajuana use and I think I'll try it some time.

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Member

I have never experienced any 'spiritual experiences' whilst on cannabis just a pleasant numbness. Unfortunately never enough to completely subdue my feelings but it helps.
    Although before trying any substance ensure your aware of the legal and physical implications. If I know now what I knew when I first turned to drugs I dont think i would have done it.

9. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

yeah... seriously, i wouldnt do drugs in a hope to gain something out of them. thats a sheer path to starting off of one light drug and eventually cascadeing down to harder drugs.

if you're going to smoke weed, do it to have fun and take whatever happens as what happens. but...

yeah no false hopes eh :) spiritual experiences in my opinon occour because of the individual, not because of a drug. And believe me, some drugs really fuck you up and make you think you're haveing spiritual exerpeinces, but .. you know.. that's the drug. If you do, you might find interest in some of the research out there of what drugs do to your mental and physical being

------------

edit

guess you're old enough being a school teacher and all supposedly lol

http://www.erowid.org

there is quite a list of experiences on all kinds of drugs. Quite a large collection of information.

itd be good to know if you cant find spiritual connection, it's not a drug you need, you need to get more intune with yourself and exsistence, to whatever aspect and definition that holds for you. again though.. dont do drugs looking for spiritual experiences... to amplify? .. mm sure lol, but whatever you're lookin for is inside you already.

in my opinon atleast

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2008
  10. Kieran

Kieran Member

i smoked heavily for 5 years. the withdrawl is a bit shitty but once your clean its mint! :biggrin: i found the worst things were the lack of sleep, mad dreams when you did sleep and i'd get really pissed off about baisically nothing. but now im off it my life seems to be on the up.

11. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

No. The only hallucinations you will get from weed are hearing sounds that either don't exist or are manipulated into something else by your brain. You may also feel hazy like your mind can't process everything around you at once, but you still see everything normal. It's an interesting experience worth having at least once, but don't fool yourself into believing that there is more to it than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoking weed is a psychological addiction. Your body doesn't really crave it. If you think it does, it's probably just in your head. You might have some imbalances from doing it for so long, but they will go away if you quit for a while. If you want to quit, before you smoke that bowl just think "who wants to be paranoid anyway?" You should try to quit at a time when you actually have it because this truly means you can live without it. It helps a lot if you have responsibilities because it ends up just being a pain in the ass to deal with what you have to get done if you are high. Get a job or go to school or meet some people who don't smoke.

12. Alastair

Alastair Well-Known Member

:laugh: lmao, i haven't had a job where there weren't any stoner's

school too

mary jane's army marches on :laugh:

13. Rawr

Rawr Active Member

My mum smoked cannibas for alot of years (not sure how many) and gave her a mental illness which she was in and out of hospital and has contributed to me feeling like i do. I am 15 and it has terrified me of drugs of any kind..also it happend to my aunty and the doctors said that it just didnt mix with people in my family. So yeh in my experince it's not a good thing at all, but i guess it effects everyone different. :mellow:

14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i smoked weed for about 2 years, it was very good to relax me, sedate me and make me sleep.

15. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I think I'll try it eventually and see how it affects me.

16. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

Great post, I pretty much agree with everything you say except I would also mention the anti-depressant qualities of the drug, but like you say there are down points as well, it makes it harder to function in society, but makes it easier to live in your own little world. Like any chemical which effects the brain, there are effects when you stop taking it, I don't sleep or eat for a while but then I get back to normal. When you stop smoking it you end up with an increased response to stress and end up with mood disturbances.

I've only been smoking very high grade weed, which while it makes me content and amused, it is difficult to maintain a supply, it doesn't grow on trees, oh hang on, basically it does. lol

I used to smoke loads but don't smoke very much these days cos I can't afford it, it just becomes something that you end up depending upon to remain functioning in normality. If I have it I will smoke it until it's gone, I could never make it last like some people seem to do. I think I probably just have an addictive personality but it is probably better than some pharmaceutical drugs for people suffering from depression but you just end up running your life around it.

The brain has it's own cannabis (endocannabinoids) called Adandamide, meaning bliss or contentment. For somebody who has manic depression being content is something difficult to feel otherwise.

17. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

my personal relationshiop with weed has been over a peridod of 40 yrs. various grades and qualities of weed. but the best weed never affectied me negatively, like alcohol does now. I think weed is a much misunderstood drug and a "friend'y" drug, as opposed to heroin and crack, which I see as unfriendnely. Jus my opinoiion..

18. Dreamer uk

Yeah I completely agree. My relationship with the weed has gone on for about 15 years and we're still together and happily married.

I think you raise a very important point about alcohol, and that is if you're going to abuse one of the two substances I think Cannabis is by far the best choice.

Weed is a very friendly drug, whereas alcohol can induce violence and drugs like Crack just create psychopaths.

It should definately be legalised in comparison to other drugs like alcohol and tobacco.

19. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Yep it should be legalized and the laws are bass ackwards, no doubt, but it is not an innocous substance to use in order to cope, escape, or get high.

I have a long-time friend from grade school for whom pot has become his personal pet demon. After 30 years of toking and cigarette smoking, he is coughing up black sputum.

I've known him all my life. I've witnessed the slow-motion slide from enjoying it to needing. I have witnessed a definitive example of "amotivational syndrome," a common result from chronic marijuana use, whereby he simply doesn't have the initiative to jump start much of anything.

Bless him, he's my friend and I love him. The poor guy is now in his forties, has tried returning to school (college) some years back, and just... smoked too much. School, life-goals, and self-improvement were not important or could unable to remain important enough to stick to.

He dropped out.

After half a lifetime of advocacy for pot-smoking, he now rues ever starting it.

I would really like to see this forum remain true to its purpose, where illicit use is NOT endorsed.

Now, if it's legal where you reside on the globe, then hell do what as you please--it's none of my affair. :laugh:

But encouraging its use in say, the U.S., is overstepping the bounds of what the forum is all about.

ToHelp

20. Dreamer uk

I'm not endorsing its use but I think it should be legalised too.

Irvin Rosenfeld

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.