Cant cope

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by JAL, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JAL

JAL Member

I used to have a dream job and a lovely wife and family but threw it all away and now i look back at what I've lost and not sure I want to go on anymore. Tried to commit suicide a couple of months ago but was discovered too early and spent the next week in a mental institution. Lying in bed without the motivation to get up and just wishing I was dead
  2. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Welcome Jal, I understand the troubles you are going through. I suffered and am still suffering from similar issues yet I continue to try and do what I need to help myself cope with it.
  3. JAL

JAL Member

But I'm struggling to see the point of going on. I've lost everything i had and everything I wanted. How do you manage to keep going every day? I wake each morning with a panic attack and struggle for the rest of the day
  4. blacknblue

blacknblue Well-Known Member

Hi JAL, I too struggle to see the point of going on but somewhere out there you still have family as have I. So each day I get up and take it one minute at a time, one hour at a time. You will have better days but the struggle is there. Are you having counselling? It can really help. Or seen a dr for medication to help with panic attacks? Please feel free to message me at anytime to talk. I understand what you're going through - you're not alone
  5. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Think of little things that you can look forward to, maybe enjoying dinner with your family or going for a walk with them. Take the day bit by bit like blacknblue is suggesting. *hugs*
  6. John BN

John BN Member

You will get through this. Encouraging words. I wish I knew what to tell you. But it seems to me that you have people who care that you did not die. Otherwise you would have succeeded in committing the act. T
  7. Always

Always New Member

JAL, I've lost a lot too and have been there. I think the key is to accept you can't go backwards. You have to build from this point on. You can't look at what you've lost because it will keep dragging you back down. Work on rebuilding. I'm not always the most positive but you're catching me on a good day. Keep pushing away dwelling in what was lost. Go forward.
  8. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Jal, I am on Prozac which has helped tremendously yet no telling how long I will be given it. I had panic attacks everyday for the last few years before I went to work, the job was killing me so I took early retirement yet that was worse. I have a small pension, no medical insurance other than hardship thru the VA which I may have to pay back in full.
    My panic attacks are few now because of the meds, I am not happy about having to take them yet they are a tool.
    When I retired I was looking for work everyday yet that stressed me out even more so now I have cut back to about a couple of hours a week if that. I know I need to get work yet on the other hand may be I don't. I have worked my whole life and feel I have accomplished nothing.
    I really can't address the family situation as my wife and I are having problems because of the depression. She does not accept it and that is okay I guess. I don't know if my marriage will survive this or not.
    I try to get myself up everyday and do something even it is for 5 minutes. I have through hours watching mindless movies etc to help with the depression.
    I guess the key is to find something that you have that is a positive and hold onto it. Find a safe place in your mind and try to reframe the thoughts of the depression into happiness even though it is tough.
  9. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey Jal, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that you've lost your family and I can understand your feelings. I've lost two wives , one to cancer and the other to divorce, so I know It's a tough go. But these feelings you're having will pass, I encourage you to seek some help in dealing with the suicidal thoughts. Speak with your doctor or a therapist, maybe some medication to help you get through the rough time. Keep posting here, there's a lot of good people going through similar things and they'll support you through this time.
  10. JAL

JAL Member

Still here today. Thanks for all your kind words even if they did make me cry. I know i need to look to the future and move on from the past but struggling to achieve it and be positive. Some days are better than others
  11. JAL

JAL Member

Still here today. Thanks for all your kind words even if they did make me cry. I know i need to look to the future and move on from the past but struggling to achieve it and be positive. Some days are better than others
  12. blacknblue

blacknblue Well-Known Member

Minute by minute, hour by hour JAL and you are doing it - slowly but surely moving forward. Good to hear that some days are better than others. Are you considering counselling or medication to help with panic attacks? Keep posting I care.
  13. AnnaTjacks

AnnaTjacks New Member

JAL, you can have those things in life again. There are so many people who lost everything that was dear to them but have gained it back. But, it looks like you can't do it alone. You do need some help. Please seek out some good counsel to help you on your road to recovery. There are a number of groups and people that you can talk to. I am praying for you. I know that your pain is real but taking your life is not the solution. You need to heal.