can't deal with the corporate world

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by OutCaste, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

there's way too much bullying and fakeness everywhere to deal with

it is just a mirror of the actual world.

a person with no social skills, who is sentimental and has poor personality will not survive.

i want out
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hi outcaste,

i left the corporate world 18 months ago and haven't looked back. not every workplace is so unhealthy, but many are. still, why not explore other options instead of suicide. there's working for yourself (challenging but rewarding), there's working for a non-profit, there's working in social services or for the government.

please do not give up yet. what else is on your mind?
  3. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I endured it for years and then finally cracked. It was just after I got back from a week's holiday, to find they had sneakily moved my office while I was away. It was just the final straw -- I had been feeling miserable and restless anyway -- so I stormed into my boss's office with an angry resignation letter in hand. He tried to mollify me, so I made some unreasonable demand, thinking they wouldn't accept it, and when they did agreed to stay on for another 5 months, with a 30% pay rise.
    Then after that was all over, flew to Europe, and travelled around rather aimlessly for 2-3 months. Yeah it was a really unwise decision, but very liberating. I had never felt so free in all my life.
    But I guess it doesn't have a happy ending. Since I'm here. But what the hell, I tried to make a change anyway, even if it hasn't worked out, and the experience was worth it. The first year living in another country was nice as well -- heading off to school to learn the language.
    But, if I am to get on my feet again now, I will have to face the corporate world again. Unfortunately necessity dictates most of our lives.

Like you, I'm very introverted and quiet, making life in the corporate world often quite tough.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008

BOLIAO Guest

What I am now is a result of the accumulated years of corporate world bullying which made me lose all hope and became suicidal. After leaving my last job in 0ct 07, I became suicidal as I can't survive in this world. It has been 6 months and I just tried to work as a free lancer beginning yesterday and I got a nervous breakdown in a no pressure environment where I work flexi hours and where I do not have any work commitment. I only get paid if I secure a deal. I tried to let go of my pasts trauma but I have become so fearful of the future that I breakdown even in a relaxing pressure free environment. I must hang on lest I quit and I'll probably take my life cos I can't even work on my own anymore. I must hang on.
  5. whybeherenow

whybeherenow Active Member

I can relate - can't handle the workplace either. Quit my job in December with nothing to go to - almost broke now. Have starting applying for jobs, but if I got one it would just crush me again. I can't do it.
  6. OutCaste

Well, one thing that is on my mind is to get a masters degree or phd in USA perhaps and then get into research. I'm already ghoing for a masters but I don't think it is that easy to get into research/academics especially with me being an international student and my not so great academic records. I'm mean I'm good but definetely not research material at the moment. It sometimes gives me chills to think that I might just end up driving taxi in USA even after getting a PHD. I really can't bear with it at all. I have a presentation tommorow and I don't even know what I'm supposed to speak. Most of my presentations usually get over in 3-4 minutes with most people sneering at me.
  7. OutCaste

Well I guess you atleast worked for a few years. I'm just a fresh graduate and have only worked for 3 months. I alreadly feel like backing out. I was unemployed for almost 5 months prior to this ( I left my first job within 3 days because everyday I was being called names by fellow "colleagues" and I also had a paranoia that my past was getting leaked.). Those 5 months were hell for me because I locked myself in my room. The worst thing ever for me is that I've a very bad past and way too many people(almost the whole college) knew about it and so I always keep running. I'm always in fear that every one in this world will know about it and make fun of me. Most people will eat you alive if you any imperfections that are visible to them. Now I work in a small company but even here there is so much politics, back biting and poking nose into others business its just unbelievable. There is this one guy who is very diligent, he is not shy or anything but he won't talk to anyone. He seems to genuinely love his work. He only talks about technical things, that too rarely. And even he is not spared..I've seen an idiot mimicing him behind his back.
  8. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Yes, listen to dazzle, she's quite right, there are alot of very good workplaces.

Actually I worked in 5 different offices (2 were just short term secondments) over 10 years, and all of them were ok really, and each had a very different dynamic. My last boss was really sweet -- one of those sort of people who likes giving praise and encouragement. So, don't give up! You only have to find a place that fits you.

I think one problem is that if you struggling with your personal life -- outside of the office -- it makes you more sensitive to office politics -- which is mostly pretty silly, meaningless stuff anyway. You can get pissed off with life in general and direct that hostility towards work. Well, at least that is my experience with it all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
  9. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Outcaste. There are better working environments out there. I work as a supply teacher and at a tutoring center in the evenings. I make a lot less than if I worked in the corporate world, but I also have a lot less stress to deal with. Try finding a workplace that doesn't pressure you so much. :hug:
  10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

that's great that you are pursuing a master's, congrats. i wouldn't worry about academic records, it's important but only up to a point. mostly they want to know if you are a good match in terms of research interests. why not go for it? as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained! as you gain confidence, and as you get well, you will find you are strong enough for grad school.

as for work presentations, yucko, i know what that's like. i had to do lots of presentations and i am a very, very shy person who started my job being scared to death of public speaking (i'd sweat, shake, mumble....). but with lots of practice i got better, way better. i would rehearse the night before at home, all dressed for work and speaking to my stuffed animals lined up on the sofa. i would imagine someone i knew whose speaking style i liked and i would try and sound like them, in terms of tone of voice and speech patterns. i would find the ONE person in the room who looked supportive or interesting and speak in their direction.

if you are not sure what you are supposed to be talking about the best thing is to find out ahead of time... can you ask your supervisor or a colleague?

there are morons in every workplace. if someone is sneering it does not go unnoticed by those who do the hiring and firing, and eventually they will get what they deserve. just rise above them. be honest, be kind and do your best. if there is one person you respect, you can ask for their support, or if that's too big a step, just model their behaviour.

good luck!
  11. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I, too, have to deal with the corporate world, and that is when I put on my dragon lady persona, if necessary...usually, I am peaceful, but when it comes to contract negotiations, I am a real hell-raiser...known to be tough in this role...found I have to spend time 'cleansing' after these ventures...and yes, there are some wonderful places to the US, there is a list of ethical corporations, those that use some of their revenue towards compassionate ventures...maybe a company like that would suit you more...all the best, J
  12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

The corporate world is really only OK if you're a certain kind of person. If you're the type who is fine with being owned, completely and unconditionally. If you give them your soul, they'll love you (as long as you're useful). But at the same time, everybody else will hate you. It's all competition, mistrust and a wild scramble for the top of the hill.
  13. pit

pit Well-Known Member

That's me! That's why I goof off and rip off the corporate world as much as possible. I hope I get a fatal disease. Then I can do some major destruction to these workaday Drew Cary types.

You're right. I'm not gonna survive. And you know what? I don't care.
  14. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

15. OutCaste

Yes, I think either you have to extremely diplomatic and shrewd or you have to be exceptionally gifted in skills such as computer programming or something.

Again, I agree. After yesterdays experience in presentation, I truely hate the fakeness in corporate world. Why are people pretending to be friendly when they actually aren't ? why why why ? First that and then when you fail to deliver, they will be the first ones to kick you in the behind.

It seems like someone has implanted a time bomb in my brain and it is constantly ticking. I don't know how much a socially inept person like me can hold.
  16. April16

April16 Member

I got "downsized" after 11 years with a very large company that has since gone out of business. 3 years later, I'm overqualified, under-qualified, too old. Experience doesn't matter now or the customer experience; just the bottom line. They'd rather higher college grads for peanuts and let the clients suffer until the new employees can "gain" the experience.....through losing clients.

Should have started my own business when I got laid off but wanted that benefits package and the perks. Never occurred to me no one would want me. Now I'm clinically depressed, have panic attacks for no reason, and have no self confidence. My life insurance expires in a couple of weeks so I'm going to have to take a bullet to the head to make sure my wife is taken care of.

The business world has changed. Used to be you could stay with one employer, maybe 2 your whole career. Now the average is 3 years per company. The corporations have no loyalty to their employees anymore at any level. It's all about a quarter point tick on the Dow.
  17. April16

April16 Member

Then get out because you're 100% right. Find something your passionate about (or at least like) a try to make a business out of it. I waited too long and I'm too burnt out to try. I'm killing myself later this month
  18. OutCaste

last week was a DISASTER..i don't want to live..i cannot make a career out of this..hell, a socially inept, psycopath like me should be shot dead because i can't do anything in life even though i have good grades.
  19. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Why not put your psychopathic tendencies to good use...and make THEM suffer!
  20. OutCaste

that only happens in movies:sad:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.