Can't see the forest through the trees

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Maverick66, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maverick66

Maverick66 New Member

I am 46 and last year I took a job with the USDA Forest Service of which I am to serve a 1-year probation prior to becoming a permanent employee. During the past 11 months I've endured a hostile work environment and when I'd question the system or seek help, the abuse ascalated.

I have been subjected to verbal and physical violence and when I reported something illegal, an EEO complaint was filed against me. I filed my own EEO complaint and was terminated on April 23rd.

I've called the suicide hotline dozens of times over the past 4 months due to the hostile work environment. Seems every step I took to protect myself created a negative response.

Several years ago I was in an abusive marriage and these above-referenced events triggered those fears.

Gosh, who will hire someone that's been fired from the Federal government?

I'm moving in with my mother and feel so ashamed.

I think I'd be better off working for myself; yet, in the economy I don't know what else to do. Most of the work from home ideas have been exhausted or a scam.

I'm so afraid.

I have no support network. My family is not supportive. There has been abuse there, too.

The only reason I don't kill myself is b/c of my pets and horse. They are my only reason for living.

I will need to file for unemployment and don't know if I'll receive any funds. They will ask why I was terminated and I want to say:

"While working as a probationary employee I was verbally and physically assaulted (include the dates) and after I filed an EEO complaint in connection with a hostile work enviornment I was terminated."

I don't know what else to say and would appreciate any suggestions.

I'm shaking all over and will move to my mother's home on Sunday/Monday. My family is not very supportive. I will contact the suicide support group in that area for help.

I don't want to be alone and I'm scared.
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

It sounds to me like you have proper documentation for the unemployment office to file suit against the employer. Many people unfortunately get fired unjustly from their jobs. It is sad that this happens, but it is one of the many obstacles in life we all face from time to time. As far as "who will hire someone who has been fired," there is no reason that you have to include this past year on your resume if you fear a new employer checking it as a reference. As someone who does work for them self, I can tell you that you will run into problems and politics regardless if you are at your own helm or not. You almost can't escape B.S. in life sometimes... you have to learn instead to adapt to live with it. My best advice is to take a moment to compose after this, fight the unemployment battle calmly and with documentation of the issues you experienced, and move forward so as not to let "the man" win and beat you. You're better than that. Survive this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.