Can't shake feelings of failure

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by mpk, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I cannot seem to shake the feelings I have failed and that there is no hope for getting better. I have tried positive reinforcement yet the feelings of failure are so strong they drown out the positive.
    I am alone in this which makes the feelings of failure even stronger.
    Why should I continue with this.

2. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Not going to give you a generic response such as hang in there. If you have tried those positive things what about setting goals for the day the week the month? Sounds like your on the right path though!

Have you thought about medications with your doctor or alternatives such as supplements if that hasn't been addressed? Sometimes you're doing everything right but the body chemistry isnt letting you feel it?

3. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you drowned fish. I have been on Prozac for 3 weeks now and hoping it will kick in in the 2 weeks or so. I have tried to change the thought process to be positive but the negative has so much control.
    I worry to much about stuff that may or may not happen.
    I know this is not rational yet it still causes negative vibes

DrownedFishOnFire likes this.
  4. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hi Mpk, you're doing all the right things to get through this. The positive reinforcement makes a lot of sense and I've tried to utilize it myself. It is difficult though when you're trying to do it with depression and on your own, it always helps to have someone in your corner backing you up. I understand your struggle. Take care.
    Brian

5. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your input. I keep trying yet it doesn't seem I am making any progress.

Brian777 likes this.
  6. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

There is hope, and you are not a failure.

You have to keep trying, and keep working. And I know that's tough, especially if you don't feel you have the support at home... but I think you have to keep trying, talk to your doctor about the effect of the prozac, and also, are you getting any therapy or counseling as well? It might help you to train some coping and skills to hold on.

7. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks phantomlady. I am going to give the Prozac some more time. As far as counseling i will have to check on that yet I believe it is difficult to get through the VA.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Good luck on the prozac and be sure to let us know how it works for you. You don't have to be alone in this battle. You're not a failure. a failure is someone who gives up. You are still here and fighting this *hugs*

9. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you Petal. I just am having a harder time the last few days dealing with the depression. I really just want to run away.

10. Petal

Know the feeling all too well my friend. Take it hour by hour and as you get better day by day. We all have our bad days, we're entitled to them! Is there anything in particular worrying you or bothering you?

11. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Petal, it is the usual. Finances and no prospect for a job. As it is we survive month by month which is a terrible way to live. I don't think my wife fully understands why I worry about it and she just shrugs it off by telling me I am not as depressed as I think I am.
    Thanks for listening.

12. Petal

I hope you can get into counselling soon. It might be your life saver, you will learn skills on how to deal with things and how not to deal with things which is also very important. I think you should try having a heart to heart with your wife and explain your feelings to her or bring her along to one of your appointments, I hope things work out for the better!

13. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thanks Petal, we shall see how it turns out.

14. Petal

Best of luck *fingers crossed for you* :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.