can't sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
All night i sit and stare at the walls. nothing else. this is when i consider 'self-medication' which is not a good sign. i give in every time... i hate myself for it

bluegrey

Antiquities Friend
I'm very sorry for your problem- I suffer chronic insomnia also. I'm currently going through another bout and if I didn't nap for an hour this afternoon I was ready for the bin. Chronic sleep deprivation not only leaves me physically exhausted, it makes my OCD and anxiety much worse.

If you Google sleep hygiene you might find something you are consuming near bedtime is more of a stimulant than you would realize. Sleep hygiene techniques are vast and you will probably find a few very helpful tips. Even following all of the rules of restful sleep I still can spend most of the night wide awake like an owl. I hope that is not the case for you!

By the way, if you are self medicating with alcohol it is actually stimulating after it is mostly metabolized. Sleeping medications (Ambien, Lunesta) in my experience never gave me deep restorative sleep. I always felt hung over and physically weak after using them and my psychiatrist said she had little faith in them anyway.

I hope you get control over your insomnia- good luck! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00