Can't stop

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by AlaskanIce, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlaskanIce

AlaskanIce Active Member

I don't cut. At the most, I just squeeze a knife in my hand for the pain sensation; I don't break the skin that way.

However, I'm a horrible picker. All over my back, scars and the like. Sometimes my fingernails are covered in blood. I have some pretty bad scratches on my ankles right now. Doesn't hurt, but looks bad. Can't stop. My only explanation is that I like pain. Or maybe I hate myself and the pain makes me feel better? I don't know. Only some of them are visible, very faint scarring on my neck. Mostly I try to contain it to my back and shoulders, where it isn't visible. Sometimes, very small bits of skin get pulled off.

I'm worried I'll never be able to stop scratching and picking.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If you talk to your doctor there is medication for people who do harm themselves by picking and scratching ask your doctor ok see if you can get some help to stop

3. AlaskanIce

AlaskanIce Active Member

How can I be medicated against harming myself?

4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Obsessive picking/scratching is an OCD type behaviour and can absolutely be treated.

5. CD110

CD110 Well-Known Member

My face looked like the moon while I had multiple major stressors in my life. I would only pick the skin on the face. Once the issues were resolved for the time, I very soon unconsciously stopped picking. I'm not OCD though, rather a slob in fact. I think I've read of picking being linked to autism, which I think I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.