Capital Punishment

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Confusticated, Nov 14, 2009.

?

For or against capital punishment?

1. For

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Against

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  3. It depends/unsure

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Capital punishment. Are you for or against? What are your reasons? Do you believe certain crimes are deserving of it while other's aren't?
    What are your views?

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I'm against it. I don't think anyone has the right to take someone elses life. No matter what they have done. Even the most "evil" of people. I don't believe we have the RIGHT to decide whether someone lives or dies, even if that person has taken a life. Even if they have done worse. It's not for us to decide. Life is too precious. Even the life of someone who has caused so much pain.

3. Confusticated

I agree. There are also other ways of punishment. Someone would not show any remorse at all if they get a death sentence. They'd never have to. If they're put into a high security prison, they have nothing to do but think. Then they'll get the pain they deserve.

4. nagisa

I agree. They should be completely isolated. They shouldn't be given things like TVs or radios or even books, imo. Idk... I guess books are okay, lol. But seriously, it should FEEL like prison, not camp.

5. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with the posters above, though I feel more that instead of focusing on punishing them, they should be helped. Even if they are never released again, trying to resolve whatever issues they must have seems a better alternative to me.

6. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

You both believe we have no right to decide if someone lives or dies, yet you both believe we have the right to essentially torture someone or inflict pain on them? XD

Edit: Sorry for the double post :unsure:

7. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I agree :thumbup:

8. Confusticated

Sometimes people are born with things that can't be helped at all, things out of their control. In them cases, I don't believe they should be punished, but kept from where they can harm others.

Reform does help sometimes, the help can be offered and taken, but then as soon as they're helped, they're let back out and then they start killing or raping or whatever it was they did almost everytime. The percentages for reform aren't that great and whilst it's not fair for the few who could be helped, is it worth risking all these extra lives for people who have commited crimes/felony that are beyond acceptable? I very much understand that they have had a terrible back ground most of the time and it's changed them, it's not their fault that they are who they are. It really is a shame. Every life should be saved if possible, but where it's not, shouldn't the greater be saved over the few who have caused harm upon others?

9. nagisa

No, I didn't say we should torture them, idk where you got that... :unsure: I think they should be helped too. I think they have issues, that's why they're there in the first place. What I was saying in my earlier post is that they should not feel like they are at camp, though. It SHOULD feel like prison. I don't think they should be allowed things like TVs and such.

10. Confusticated

If it's torture for them to feel the pain of what they have caused, I do believe that.

11. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

I was talking more to Wayne, regarding what he said about causing them pain. Sorry for the confusion, my post was badly phrased XD

12. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

You're talking about remorse. You know as well as I do that people with serious mental issues don't have that.

13. Confusticated

People always will be released once they've been helped. It's the way the system works and the way it forever will. There's no point in keeping somebody in if they can't cause no harm? Or at least are believed not to be able to cause any harm.

For the people who can feel it, they should. For those who can't they should be taught to.

14. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

People with such serious issues can't be happy unless they're inflicting pain on others. The rest of their lives shouldn't HAVE to be miserable. If we can help them deal with whatever has caused them to act the way they do, at least they can live happily even if they aren't completely "cured" and safe for release.

Why should they? You're talking about inflicting serious, life-long emotional torture on someone. Who could possibly deserve that?

You seem to have changed your mind a little since we last spoke about this. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2009
  15. Confusticated

I understand that, but people will always be released. In a perfect world, we'd be able to help everyone. It's a terrible world though, a lot of people don't even want the help. They feel sickened that they could think differently to the way they do.

some people have excuses, such as child abuse etc etc. A lot however, don't. They just felt like it or whatever reason they give. Sure, it's horrible they could think like that, there is obviously something wrong. They have make a mistake, a very big one, or however many they've caused. If they never realise what they have done though, the question comes about to whether or not they can be helped enough? If they never realise what they've done, they might just think that they can do it again, and not feel any pain for it, any punishment, so there's nothing stopping them doing it again.

I'm not sure, my opinions change a lot on this haha x]

16. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Nothing to stop them doing it again.. so.. you're suggesting there'd be an opportunity for them to do it again. Which implies your punishment - apparently based on the idea of inflicting some kind of pain, either physical or emotional - then release.

So tell me, how is that better than help, followed by release, hm?

17. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

When I first started reading this I had a firm idea in my head of 'what criminals deserve', but I think Lela has made me think a little also. I'm beginning to change my mind and see things differently.

I'm totally on the fence now. Eeek! :laugh:

18. Confusticated

I'm seeing the help and release as the remorse and release. I can't think of another way that would help. I'm trying, but how could you help someone if they never realise what it is they have done?

19. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Haha :)

Of course people have to realise what they've done wrong. But they should be helped then. Shown compassion - thats the only way they'll learn to show the same.

When you talked about remorse, it seemed to be more out of malice and the feeling that "they deserve it" than the desire to help them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

20. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I have to say there are a large numbers of criminals who are never going to feel any remorse and do not believe they have done anything wrong. For instance the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs?

They seem maniacal, okay so one of them seems mentally ill/possible sociopath but one was clearly just there for the sheer fun of it.
    I just don't know what I'd do with people like this if the decision was in my hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.