carbon monoxide *Trigger*

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by sandalwood, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandalwood

sandalwood Well-Known Member

i thought you guys would find this interesting. i've been fantasizing about killing myself with carbon monoxide lately, and after looking into it i found out this:-

"Suicide and opportunity.

Suicide is not a crime, but like much crime is generally thought to be deeply motivated. However, there is clear evidence from the U.K. that opportunity plays an important part in suicide. During the 1950s, about half the people who killed themselves in the U.K. used domestic gas, which contained lethal amounts of carbon monoxide (CO). This was known as "putting your head in the gas oven." In the 1960s, gas began to be made from oil instead of coal. The new gas had less CO and the number of gas suicides began to decline. By 1968, only about 20 percent of suicides involved gas. This is when a second change began: manufactured gas was replaced by natural gas from the North Sea. Natural gas contains no CO and is almost impossible to use for suicide. By the mid-1970s, less than 1 percent of suicides in the U.K. used this method.

What is deeply surprising is that suicides did not displace wholesale to other methods. The table shows that between 1958 and 1976 suicides dropped by nearly 30 percent from 5,298 to 3,816. (This was during an economic decline when suicide could have been expected to increase and, indeed, was increasing in other European countries.) People did not turn to other methods because these all had drawbacks. Overdoses are much less lethal than carbon monoxide. Hanging requires more knowledge as well as courage. Not everyone has access to guns, which can result in disfigurement instead of death. On the other hand, domestic gas was readily available in most homes. It was highly lethal and using it was bloodless and painless. It is not surprising it was the preferred method for so long and that when the opportunity to use it was removed, the number of suicides declined.

1958 - 49.8% of suicides by domestic gas

1976 - 0.4 of suicides by domsetic gas

Source: Mortality Statistics, England and Wales: Causes. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office, Annual"

the is the page i found it on:- http://www.popcenter.org/learning/60Steps/index.cfm?stepNum=9 has an interesting chart there

so basically, that rules that one out.......

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

Re: carbon monoxide

there was a long article on the ny times recently about opportunity and impulsiveness wrt suicide. they quote the same statistic, and also a study about people who survived bridge jumps from the golden gate bridge. as i remember it the jump survivors all reported that they changed their minds after they let go.

what i took away from the article is the need to put as many obstacles between me and my plans as possible. this means things like not drinking (become way too impulsive), no carrying methods around with me, etc.

3. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

This is indeed intersting.
    I noticed thay said "Hanging requires more knowledge as well as courage"
    I wounder what thay mean by that...
    Is it so difficult to tie a rope to a branch of a tree?...

My suicide plan is about hanging myself...
    I think its the best suicide method, no pain, no blood...
    Only about 30 seconds of inconvinient fealing...

4. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I think the 'courage' is in the jumping.

5. sandalwood

i used to work as a forensic photographer, and i can say that unfortunately many things can go wrong with hanging yourself. often it seems you have to get the knot right or you could be hanging there slowly strangled, lascerate your throat, or in other cases you can decapitate yourself. these are the reasons i'd personally not chose to go that way.

6. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Is it posible to put a possible trigger in the title ? Cos this topic could trigger some people :/ Not trying to cause a fuss, jus looking out for other people :)

7. sandalwood

sure. i'll see if i can edit it.

8. sandalwood

i can't seem to figure out how to do that. if you know how then let me know and i'll change it

9. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

i'll edit the title for you, but can everyone please remember this is a pro life site, so be careful about discussing methods

10. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I tried the above method twice, obviously didn't work. 1st time nearly got caught, 2nd time was suffocating and fighting for every breath, then suddenly chickened out, I also felt really sick.

It takes a long time!!!!!!!! I wrote notes while it was happening and read them the other day, I wrote "why is this taking so long". You can also end up with brain damage.

I am not giving ideas but just saying the bad points about it.

11. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i also tried this method; had a massive headache and was sick as a dog for weeks afterwards. it's not foolproof and it's not pretty.

12. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

It is also true that you don't just fall asleep. I even tried with a very high amount from two sources, won't go into exact details. While you are waiting you have plenty of time to think.

13. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

lol the way you guys talk reminds me the way anti suicide people talk...
    It will make you sick...
    Brain damage...
    Blah blah...

2 Things..
    1. I was on a pro suicide forums and i saw what people said about it
    So as long as im not too drunk, and i know what im doing, there will be no problem.

2. I know how to make the right kind if knot...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  14. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

if it reminds you of how anti-suicide people talk, well, that's because i *am* anti-suicide. and i am against suicide because i have learned that my well thought out reasons for my death were wrong. i thought i was a loser, unlovable, unworthy. and i thought that i was alone and always would be alone for those reasons. but as i said i have learned i was wrong. these ideas were the result of the abuse i experienced, and not some essential truth about me. once i dealt with the abuse i had to question the reasons... suicide becomes less and less tempting the more i come to terms with my childhood.

abuse, substance abuse and mental illness are threads in each of our stories. i don't know if any of those are your experiences, but i suspect so from what you have said about your parents. when you begin to heal from those hurts i hope suicide will be less tempting as an option for you.

15. sandalwood

i didn't mean for this to seem like a pro-suicide. i had fantasised about it because it seemed so peaceful, and before i found that post i had thought about combining it with sleeping pills... if anything the opposite as it shows how suicide has declined and i should imagine will prevent people from trying it and risking health problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.