Career Delima

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by arielle, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arielle

    arielle Member

    For those who may or may not have read any of my associated posts the basic outline of my situation is thus.

    2 years ago I was fired "without reason" (that's what's on the paperwork but the truth is I was fired due to attendance issues after dealing with my boyfriend's very serious illness followed by my own bought of pneumonia two months later. Customer demanded my head, my employer gave it but since you can't fire someone for being sick---and I DID have doctor notes--they said it was for no reason.)

    Since then I've bounced between short-term gigs and contract work with the most recent being my current contract set to terminate 31DEC09. I have 9 more paid days of employment before I get to start filing for unemployment all over again.

    Option 1: The new company that won the contract will be 80% likely to hire me but possibly for a lower rate than I am making now. I can already not afford my bills, an even lower rate would bankrupt me.

    Option 2: Despite the tough economy I do have a potential job perspective working with the biggest A-hole I have ever met in my entire life. I worked with him before and could not stand the jerk. He's the only person in my entire life I've ever wished to be hit by a bus. He made my working environment a living hell last time I worked with him...but I'm nearly a shoe-in for the slot they have open. (The guy would be my co-worker not my boss, thankfully).... but I'm also nearly certain I would be miserable yet making the pay I was before I was fired. Plus the job is guarunteed for at least 3 years.

    Option 3: Try and rent my house and see if I can get a company to pay for relocation expenses to transfer out of my current area for one where the job market is better. It's a HUGE risk because I'd be giving up my home, my livelihood, my friends and everything on the "chance" I could get a decent job in a wage market I'm unfamiliar with.

    Option 4: Drop everything and become a freelancer full time taking up part-time work where I can. No job security but I'd be working for myself. No medical benefits, but I'd be working for myself.

    Option 5: Keep looking and pray something perfect comes along.
  2. Sadeyes

    Sadeyes Staff Alumni

    It seems that drastic to give up all of your support...since you know the jerk, is there a way to set limits in a kind and friendly way to avoid the pitfalls of the past??? Maybe on weekends, you can start your freelance work and see where that goes...just my 2 cents and best of luck, J
  3. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    i would take the sure thing and tell the jerk under no circimstance will you put up with his behavior as before then like said before try freelancing on your down time to see if it will pan out for you. In this time of uncertainty take sure thing you can always quit later. take care and good luck with what ever you choose to do
  4. TaraB3ar

    TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

    I agree with violet and sadeyes. I dont think you should give up everything because if you leave your friends you'll probably be even more unhappy than you will be working with the jerk. Plus the jerk is at least a sure thing. And it could possibly be better than the last time you worked with him since he wont be your boss. I hope it all works out for you!
  5. aoeu

    aoeu Well-Known Member

    Too soon to worry. You said they'll probably hire you back, POSSIBLY at a lower rate. If they offer you a job at the same (or better? It could happen!) rate, this question is moot. Just wait, see how things pan out, then start considering your options (and I'd go with the jerk, people occasionally do change, situations certainly do).
  6. arielle

    arielle Member

    They came back and offered me the job. The pay is so incredibly low I would lose my house. I'm trying other avenues to find a job... but the job with the jerk now isn't returning my calls so I don't even know if that's an option. Waiting... may of cut off my options entirely.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.