Career Dilemma

Discussion in 'Work and Financial Problems (New Forum)' started by Raiyan, Oct 17, 2016 at 2:17 PM.

1. Raiyan

Raiyan Member

Hey people,

I am close to pulling my hairs out over this... I absolutely have no clue on what to do. I have a few options but it's pretty hard to choose..

1. Get a normal, daily boring job. [good chance of success]
    2. Continue to search online for remote or singapore based job in my industry which is web hosting [ low chance]
    3. Start up my own web hosting company. I have somewhat a clear idea on how to get things started but not exactly on how to get clients. Often had my own dream of owning a company..
    4. Migrate to the states, leaving everything behind to get a job in my desired industry.

I really can't stand being umemployed much longer, I'm tired of relying on my family, I really wish to give them happiness yet I also want to give myself happiness.. I honestly don't know which path to go for.. I'm somewhat scared of going to the states alone but, I know that if I want to succeed in life, I need to overcome my fears. However I'm not sure which I should go for.. It's really frustrating..
  2. Montage

Montage Well-Known Member

Why don't you make a list of the pros and cons for each situation.. listing what you WANT most first... it does seem like a hard decision because you want to make the right choice for your future.. good thing is you can change your mind or adjust if one doesn't work out how you'd hope. If you are close with your family it may be pretty tough to move away from them. Make sure you have some good support in your decision.. happiness in your profession is extremely important.. think it through rationally and trust yourself :)
    Raiyan likes this.
  3. Raiyan

Raiyan Member

Thank you for your sound advice, I will make a list tomorrow noon with a clear mind. Though I do know a con for going to America: Trump. Yeah I'm close to my family, but sacrifices have to be made in order for me to succeed. Tons of workers here in Singapore migrated from Bangladesh or India, leaving their families behind, to work and make money here. If they can, why not me? I don't plan on simply staying in my comfort zones forever. I really want to see and explore other countries and opportunities, but yeah I'll go and make a list later on and evaluate. Thanks again Montage.
  4. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if vocational rehab is available in Singapore, but if they have that, they might be able to help you.

In general, it's easier to get a job when you have a job (catch 22, I know). You might want to start with step one, getting a normal, boring job. If you can get a job like that at a web hosting company, you'll be able to get your foot in the door. Companies like to see good work history from their employees, they want to know what to expect from you and see that you are reliable and won't be a mistake to hire. If you build up some good relationships in the company and they generally like you, your chances of being promoted internally are much higher. So if you become aware that an opportunity to work in your chosen field opens up in your company, you might be able to go directly to the hiring manager to submit your application. Bonus points if you have recommendations from within the company.

Aside from that, if you are able to make some connections at any job and let them know you are interested in a particular field, they may be able to connect you with an opportunity even if it is outside the company.