Career path choice help

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by jazzmeister, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzmeister

jazzmeister Active Member

Hey guys. Just need help with this thought.

You see, my current company is somewhat acceptable, the employees are nice but the management stinks. They're about to send me to Japan for training which is one of my dreams. They're sending me to Japan to stay for 8 months in contrast to the others who were sent before (only 3 months) because what I am being trained for is much more complicated.

My problem is that the company requires me to stay a certain period of time in the company so that the cost for the training and the value of my services to the company is even. If I didn't comply, I will have to pay the cost of my training. I was aware of this when I entered the company but what no one told me was that the ratio is 1 month abroad=1 year in the company. I was devastated to learn that because my original plan was to gain experience so that I can apply to a company I've always wanted to enter. The other company requires 5 years experience in parts molding and that is exactly what my job is about today.

No one told me about this policy and I don't know what to do. I only learned the policy and the duration of the training when I was already 4 months in the company; no one asked me about my opinion on the matter beforehand. To add insult to injury, the managers and others who went to Japan before me but had shorter stay durations, seem to be rubbing it in my face that I'll have to serve 8 years and that in a matter of a year or two they can finally resign from the company. As much as I want to finish the contract to honor my word when I entered, I'm not sure I'd be able to stomach the management as they are unfair as hell. They keep passing jobs from other departments to our department yet think our job is very easy. Even if the management changed for the better, what my other concern is my age. I'm already 24 and 8 years from now, I'll be 32. I'm not sure if the other company will accept an applicant of that age by then.

For me it's a big deal if I don't get into that company because its one of the companies I've dreamed of entering. A company that even with a salary that is a lower than what I expect will be acceptable for me because I'm just happy to be in that company.

I've asked my family and they've all said that I try to stay for a few years and maybe I'll come to like my current company and if I don't get to follow my plan, it's God's will. I feel like that they don't really see how it is for me even if they say they do because this is potentially missing out on one of my life dreams. Lastly, they say that if I don't like it in my company after a few years, then I resign but I can see in their body language that they don't want me to resign because of how much we will have to pay when I don't finish my contract.

Sorry again for the long post but I need your opinion on this. I don't know what I should do for my future.

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

The first thing I'd do is look at your contract and see what it says about length of stay and what is owed to the company. That way, you will know precisely what is expected of you and what you signed up for. Also, there may be a section that says what happens if you want to leave the job before your training payback time is done. You might even get a lawyer to look over your contract in case there are some terms that are negotiable.

Have you considered that the training might lead to other opportunities and new working groups within the company? The people who are "rubbing your nose in it" might not be people you will be working with when you get back. Also, they might be jealous and making the payback terms seem worse because they wish they had been sent for the more complicated in-depth training.

Some questions to think about...

Has your company given you an idea of the career path they have in mind for you? Is that what you hoped for?
    Are there any perks that you get with the job...such as international travel (that you don't owe them anything for)? Better projects, more responsibility, greater initiative/leadership roles?
    Have they talked to you about the salary you could expect when you are done with training? Will that continue to increase because you can take on new work?
    What other jobs in your field (at other companies) are available? How do they and their training programs compare? And the career path you could have with them?

I don't know if that helped. If you are young and want to see new places, this could be an interesting opportunity for you. And if you are young and doing interesting, challenging work, eight years might not end up feeling so long.

Good luck. Let us know how things are going. :)

3. jazzmeister

Has your company given you an idea of the career path they have in mind for you? Is that what you hoped for?->Yes they have. Mold Technician and Designer. I never really thought about it if it is hat I hoped for as when I was accepted, it was still a bit ambiguous as to where they would assign me. They just told me that I will handle something related to production. My forte is on inventory planning and supply chain management. When I learned that I would be working with molds, I agreed to get experience for the job I wanted in the other company. Else, I would have just earned money so I can apply for a second degree.

Are there any perks that you get with the job...such as international travel (that you don't owe them anything for)? Better projects, more responsibility, greater initiative/leadership roles?
    Based on what I see from the person who I would share my position to be, just travelling between our company and mother company in japan every once in a while. Better projects, more responsibility, leadership roles, yes.

Have they talked to you about the salary you could expect when you are done with training? Will that continue to increase because you can take on new work?-No clue was given on my salary after the training but they did say it will be higher than my current salary. Continual increase? Sketchy. A lot of employees n our company have received additional work and tasks over the years but they received no increase in salary.

What other jobs in your field (at other companies) are available? How do they and their training programs compare? And the career path you could have with them?->Basically would be the same with what I have today. The only reason I really like the other company is that they are the makers of some of my favorite toys and models. Plus, they are affiliated with one of the video game companies that I love.

4. jazzmeister

Actually the 8 years probabaly isn't my issue. After the 8 years, I'm 32 which will make it hard for me to apply to the company I want to get into because of age preferences. This seems to be one of the points that my family don't get. The other point s that getting into one of the companies I am thinking is my dream. It feels as if my family is asking to give up on my dream so that I don't leave my company early and don't have to pay a huge debt,

5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Could be that since I'm in my mid-50s, 32 still seems quite "young" to me. But it's about right for having experience and moving to a good new job.

It might be that the company you want to move to hires lots of new graduates - gives them experience, and then the employees move on, so the company hires more new grads for lower level positions. That doesn't meant that they don't also hire older, experienced people to manage the projects and the less experienced employees. Perhaps that's something to check out. Maybe your dream of working at that company is achievable by a slightly different route if one is an older and experienced worker. :noidea:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.