Career Question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Always a Student, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I am stuck and I wonder what to do. I recently got a job because one of my professors recommended me. I took it at the beginning of February and I do not like it. It's not as if I hate it, it is just a galaxy removed away from what I want to do (which is teaching at the University after I get my PhD). I am finishing my MA this summer. Should I do the job for y year (it is a one year contract) or should I go back to the University to start my PhD this September? I looked for other job offers but I couldn't find anything even remotely close to what I am doing, I know that there will be places available at my University next Summer, but what about in between?
    I am unhappy at my job and I do not want to be unhappy for another 11 month. On the other hand I should be grateful that I have a job, right?

What to do?

Thank you
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

What is your gut instinct about what to do?

I'm not sure there is a right or a wrong, just maybe what you think is best for you.
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

You should be garetful, but if you can get another job that pays more, I think you should do it, even though it's for a one year contract. It'll be good to put on the resume.
  4. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

I agree with Scum.

I mean whatever you like, go for it.

Of course if its one job that'll help you pay for rent/tuition whereas the other won't then I guess you really wouldn't have a choice in the matter. You may want to weigh in opportunities for advancement in the future.

However, if none of those things are issues, pick whatever you like :)
  5. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

The only advice I can give you is to not quit your job before you have another one lined up (that's if you want another job). It's much easier to get a different job while you already have one.
  6. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

i absolutely agree. for some reason when your currently employed its like everywhere is hiring. Job offers all over. But when your unemployed its like your infected and no one wants to touch you. All doors are shut tight.
  7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well...I would love to be able to tell everyone not to work jobs that you don't enjoy, but unfortunately that is what work is.
    Alot of the time you have to do things that you don't want to do and you do not enjoy. That's just life, I guess...

I'm sure you will figure things out though!
  8. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

If it's going to a university to get a PhD so you can go on to get the job you've always wanted or staying on at a job you don't enjoy, then I'd say university all the way. You'd get your desired job a lot sooner and be free of your current job that you dislike. Just make sure you have enough money, etc., to get you through your time at university. This way you'll be happier in the long run.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.