Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Oceans, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

i don't have a career, I know its not everything but at least I can have something to look forward to. I am well into my twenties without a clear goal in mind. People my age are in their chosen career path and i'm in limbo.

what has plague my mind is whether following one's heart or head is best in regards to career choice.

I have done everything i can think of like searching the internet for career test and personality test and still it is not helping. There is always something wrong with whatever i choose and in the mean time, i don't make any decisions and just lost out of mind on where i want to go.

The application for studies are coming up and i want to apply but i haven't a chosen career so i cant choose a course of study or i would end up in debt if i don't choose wisely.
  2. odnox

odnox Well-Known Member

When I was a kid all I wanted to be was an architect. I learned everything I could, took all the drafting classes in my high school, got all the tools to do that stuff at home. I eventually went to college to study Architecture and after about 3 semesters knew I had made a bad choice. There was something about the artistic part that I just had no passion for. I loved the drafting and engineering part, but not the design. So, I dropped out. 22 years old and my life long career dreams were shattered.

I ended up getting into the computer field. Programming specifically. Every career and personality test I ever took said that this would not be a good field for me to be in. Logic and facts and details are not my strong suit. It's the artistic stuff that I'm better geared for. But I've excelled in technology. I still don't like designing user interfaces or web sites, the arty stuff. I like building the logic and connectors. The stuff I shouldn't be good at, I love.

I think that what you will be happy doing will come to you when you're ready for it. Don't get too hung up on what your friends or peers are doing. Likely by the time they retire they'll be doing something else. There's nothing wrong with doing lots of things as long as you're happy doing them in the moment.

I find that lately my job consumes my life. Not because it demands it but because I don't have anything else really. I work a lot because it's better than sitting around being lonely. If I had one piece of advice, and that I too should follow, it's to not let one part of your life dominate. A job is a job, nothing more. There is more to life.

I hope this helps, Oceans, and I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck!