Careers Advice

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shogun, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I am 28 years old, I live in London, England and I've been suffering from severe depression for around 8 or 9 years now and haven't been able to work because of it which has made me even more depressed. I am a naturally hard working person and hate sitting around doing nothing, but sitting around doing nothing has sort of become a way of life for me.

My situation is that I have just over a grand (£1000) in life savings and I am on disability allowance currently. I have an A level in fine art and BTEC qualifications in maths, art & design and English from college. I strictly never touch alcohol, cigarettes or drugs these days, although I did drugs a little about 8 years ago. My working background is pathetic, I was a hotel porter for about 10 months and I was a floor layer for about 3 months, both before 2001. My CV (resume) is extremely empty at the moment. I don't have responsibilities such as a family to support or many bills, so I can take time out to study for a possible career. My literacy skills are top notch and I'm confident that I could gain top qualifications in English.

I am at a point now where I am desperate to get back into work and try to rebuild my failure of a life. Thing is, I don't want a job, I want a career. I am willing to study hard if that's what it takes and gain qualifications. I just want to be respected, but I've never known what I wanted to do in life before and I have suffered terribly with social anxiety in the past and still do to a degree.

I've noticed that I've been watching Airline documentaries almost religiously recently and it's suddenly struck me that I would love to become an Airline pilot.

Question is, is it unrealistic for someone in my situation to gain a career now? How could a potential employer take on somebody that has been sitting on his ass for 8 years doing nothing? Would studying for a career now be pointless for that reason?

Money is an obvious problem too, is there any way I can get around college fees?

If I don't do something to change my current situation, suicide will be inevitable. And I have no family or friends to pose this question to. So please, can anyone that has experience in this subject advise me?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  2. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

I guess the British people would be better to answer your question but would your disability support you while you study? I know a guy who is 36 and just started up a degree in communications in Greece.

3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I think your desire to want to go back to study and enter a career, says alot about how far you have come in wanting to pave a more fulfilling road. This determination and the thoughts about the possible career options is a sign.

some people have at least two career change so why should it be any different for you to start your first career.

i am not from Britian so i cant comment on the education and finance system.

best wishes

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Thanx guys.

This is a question I really need an answer to myself. I have no idea whether my disability will support me while I study and I don't even know who to ask.

I want to become an Airline pilot, but have no idea if my disability will pay for my course or if an Airline would even employ someone with my lack of work history.

5. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

It's never too late to train for a new career. You're only 28 (one year older than me) and you still have youth on your side. If you really want to be a pilot, then train hard for it and go for it. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.