Careers? Don't think about it.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Beka, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

My family keep nagging me about changing my jobs and finding something I like. I just can't. I don't have any hobbies or interests anymore this depression has swallowed them up I just don't enjoy anything anymore.

I want to go on the medication now so I have a slim chance at finding things I like again. I just want to be able to function like a normal human being.

All my friends keep telling me I can't go on any meds because they will make it worse and turn me into a completely different person. To be honest a completely different person wouldn't be the worst thing in the world at least I'd feel more emotions than just giddy and hopelessly empty.

I want my life back.

I don't want to continuously disappoint my family by staying with the jobs I have. But I don't want to move from pointless uninspiring job to another pointless and uninspiring job.

2. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

not even one? or is it the pressure from your family?

3. Beka

Beka Well-Known Member

I don't have any. Other than reading and that's not something you can do for a job. I used to have a fair few but I don't get anything from them anymore. I look at other hobbies and I think yeah that's cool but it's not for me.

4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

when I was depressed I lost all my hobbies and interests...but now that I'm on meds, I'm started to want my hobbies back and am doing them...

the pills don't make it worse...sure you become a different person but that is what you want in a way because who you are now isn't working and making you feel worse...it doesn't cure you completely but with time it alleviates a lot of the depression or whatever is wrong....

also your friends aren't living your life you are...don't let them make decisions about your llife when they don't have to live with the consequences....

5. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

ever heard of reviewers? they read books and review them as a job :) maybe that is soemthing you want to get into

6. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

i wouldn't put too much faith in your friends' medical knowledge

could you be a different person to them? possibly - if the meds are effective, probably

but it sounds like they are just used to you behaving and feeling the way you do now which is not what you want any more

just be prepared - it may take weeks for the effects to become apparent and it may take longer for you and your doc to find the right type and dosage of meds that you need

good luck

7. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Do what I do, tell your family to suck it and if they do not like your choices you can do yourself a favor and stop interacting with them.

8. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

Work seems to be drudgery rather than enjoyable. I met a group of soldiers coming off a mountain a few years ago and they looked as miserable as anyone I'd ever meet. I gave way to them and as they were passing I asked if they were getting paid for the hike. They replied that they were and I said that I wasn't. I was out there for enjoyment. They looked slightly bewildered and some of them laughed at the thought that I could possibly enjoy carrying a rucksack around the Brecon Beacons.

The hike was uninspiring to them while thoroughly inspiring for me.