careful calling the authorities on people

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by HawthornePassage, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

it scares me how people always tout the 'official line' of call the authorities get them 'help' no matter what

what about the concepts of civil rights, liberty, etc.

be careful who you do this to though, in some cases it might just piss the person off and give them anger which is fuel to actually do something in a more calculated/serious manner. especially if theyre very despondent initially. pretty much what happened to me, i went in depressed and miserable and came out angry with actual motivation to do something

see, many people with 'problems' are actually more intelligent than average, and many people who are of above average intelligence resent having their liberties taken away

doesnt seem to be much point to doing that especially if the person just gets angry and more likely to do it, what it seems like to me is an 'emotional excuse' or some kind of disclaimer of responsibility. not that our legal system is moral at all, i mean seriously the whole thing is biased towards mindless black and white conservative 'values'

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I understand what you mean about the person's liberties. However, calling the authorities allows the right professional people to enter the situation and offer help that the average person cannot give.

3. HawthornePassage

usually people who are that far have had some experiences with the 'mental health establishment', theres a very good reason why they dont want any more of it

4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

agree with you hawthorn on this one.
    been there..done that!

5. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

Somebody, and I don't know who, called 'the authorities' on me twice and it was very traumatizing on top of all I'm trying to deal with. Once was around Xmas of 2010, the other time around my birthday. Nobody would come clean and tell me if it was them and 'the authorities' sure aren't going to tell you who called. It truly does no good and is a frightening experience to go through out of the blue.I have a friend in another state whose family called on her. She was hauled off to a mental hospital for I think two months. She wound up having to have EMDR and intense therapy to get over the experience of being traumatized by having her own family calling 'the authorities' on her.

I had the experience of mentioning the word suicide in a WalMart in another state and the manager called the PD on me behind my back. I wound up being hauled off to the local hospital for an evaluation. It was very traumatizing. I had never ridden in a PD car before, I was all alone in the middle of God's green nowhere in the middle of the night, my car was back at WalMart, all I wanted to do was drive home to my home state. BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU SAY THE WORD SUICIDE to!!! People like the drama and will call the PD in a heartbeat.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hawthorne raises a good point. At what point should the police be called and a suicidal person's civil liberties become void? I would only call the cops if I had good reason to believe that someone I knew was serious about ending his/her own life. Maybe people overreact too often once they hear the word suicide? Maybe it's best to be safe than sorry?

7. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

When I went to the hospital for a psych evaluation because I was acutely suicidal (had my plan and everything), I was asked all the standard questions, and then it was decided to 'blue sheet' me. This is where all rights that you have as a patient disappear. I went in to go willingly, and then they pull this bullshit. It was probably the worst thing that could have happened to me.

Very traumatizing.

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I can understand where you're coming from and how it could make things worse for someone who's already in a bad place, but try to think of it from the perspective of whoever called the authorities. I mean obviously I don't know your situation, so I can't speak to that specifically, but I was on the other end of it once. I had to call for an ex girlfriend of mine several years back. She told me she was going to kill herself and then slammed the door on me. Now I had no idea if she intended to do that, I actually thought she probably wouldn't, but I would not have been able to live with myself if she did. If she had actually ended her life, and I didn't call someone, I would have had to live with that guilt the rest of my life. While you may know yourself, it's hard for other people to tell where you're at, and I am sure other people in similar situations probably feel similar to me in terms of not being able to live with themselves if something did happen.

:hug:

9. Morningstar

Morningstar Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with you 110% Hawthrone and I've been on the receiving end of the so-called 'authorities' many times. Most of the time it was a complete disaster and an overall annoying experience. And the fact also is that the so-called mental-health 'experts' nowadays are nothing more then pharmaceutical company payed pill-pushers. Pills that usually wind up doing far far far more harm then good, believe me I know. I was put on Haldol a couple years back (can't really remember the reasoning as I'm not psychotic or even remotely schizophrenic)and had a really bad(although apparently very common) reaction which was unbelievably uncomfortable. Basically all my muscles started to seize up and contract all the time to the point I could barely talk, move my hands or even walk. I thought I had a brain tumor or something and was going to wind up dying and this is a commonly prescribed medication! Other meds as I think we all know can do far far worse up to and including causing death, paralysis, seizures, even psychosis, or any number of horrible things. Sure there are still some decent professionals but the majority are nothing but idiots with med degrees and an ability to ruin people's lives(not to mention most have serious god-complexes). Now as for 'fromthatsnow's' response, yes I can understand what you are saying to a point however. To be quite honest I am(and have been for awhile now) quite tired of hearing the obvious(and to me increasingly ridiculous) statement 'what about the people in one's life?'. Well you know what?, what about the person who is suicidal(seriously so and perhaps with very good reason) and who has to live with what they are feeling everyday of their life? What about the horrors they experience day in and day out? And what if they have done EVERYTHING humanly possible to try and make things work? Do 'the people in one's life' have to deal with these things day in and day out?, do they know the endless pain and horror of the one making this descision? And when it comes to someone serious about suicide(I'm not talking about those who got dumped, are being bullied, lost a job, or what have you) they have usually been through every possible means to get better and nothing has worked. Therefore is it not the definition of mercy and compassion to allow someone who has done everything possible the right to just let go and let the horror end? Certainly as a society one does not flinch at the idea of putting an animal that is incapable of being healed out of it's misery and pain. So why not then is such mercy and compassion not reserved for human beings who are suffering sometimes even worse misery and pain? Because 'the people in ones life' will have to hurt for what is comparatively a short period of time when compared to the pain a seriously suicidal person feels at continuing to live? The fact is that the people in one's life' psychologically speaking are generally much better equipped to deal with life and even with the death of a suicidal loved one. Much better equipped indeed then the suicidal one who is barely capable of living at all. While yes it is under mainstream society's present so-called 'moral-code' the 'right' thing to do to call the authorities. It is not actually the humane, compassionate, or merciful thing to do(in serious cases) at all. As Hawthorne has pointed out it simply makes one more bitter, increases pain, anger, and pushes one further away(again at least in serious cases). And also it simply prolongs the serious individuals already substantial suffering and pain. It may also close avenues to access to certain types of bus tickets thus leaving one with far more horrible and less dignified means of transport. Anyway my point is that while one may jump to what is the 'morally' acceptable feel-good about oneself answer. There is in reality another side to such an answer that most people simply fail or more reasonably just ignore because it makes the majority of people uncomfortable. Now I should however point out as I've said many times in my response that such considerations should really only be made in certain cases. Namely those that are terminally ill or who have tried every possible means to try and get better but cannot. The reality of life is that some people simply cannot(for whatever reason) be saved or healed, it is simply a fact of life. Now certainly there should be every effort made to help those who do not fall into the aformentioned categories and rightfully so. Someone considering a bus ride because they're parents grounded them, because they're being bullied(or even abused), lost their job, got an failing mark on a paper, or got turned down for prom. Well they should be given access to whatever resources are necessary to help them. But it should be done in a dignified, respectful, and humane way as possible. Because there always is the risk of accidentally turning a paper-cut into a full-blown evisceration or amputation, so to speak. Essentially there are a lot of problem with the 'authorities' and with the mental health field these days. People who can be helped and who deep down just want someone to listen absolutely and completely should be. But people also need to realize that sometimes the best, most compassionate, and merciful thing. . .is letting someone go.

P.S.-sorry if my opinion offends anyone and to be honest I really didn't mean to get so 'worked up' and ramble on an on but I do these types of things every now and then.Also I'm not under any circumstances 'encouraging' anyone to do anything, I am simply making a philosophical point. I do truly believe that the vast majority of people who are feeling suicidal can overcome their feelings and move on. Thank you Hawthrone for bringing up such a good point and topic

10. Void_reality

Void_reality Member

I agree also with Hawthrone and morningstar As i too have had the authorities called on me before and i find it really annoying. I think if people genuinely want help from the authorities then fair enough but for the people who dont i think there should be an easier safer way introduced as most poeple that attempt tend to survive. As for the people who call the authorities when you know full-well that someone has every intention of dying then i think your selfish. Why should someone have to continue their shitty existence jus to benifit you.

11. HawthornePassage

yet its still 'disapproved of' and basically 'illegal' even though its obvious to any barely intelligent person that aggressive intervention is wrong.

it tears me to shreds inside that things arent morally right in this world, barely at all

and i can see it all the time, everywhere, unlike others. i always thought being highly perceptive would be considered a good thing, my dad drilled that feel good bullshit into my head. just made me more outraged when i found out it was all a lie. its completely infuriating that even basic things cant be gotten right by this moronic bunch of hacks

its even more pathetic that ill probably have to wait until 2150, id be long dead anyway from old age, but selfish assholes would rather me suffer social and emotional unfulfillment and massive torture for 70 (700) more years than just give myself a break for once. what a shitty video game.

12. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

In my opinion, someone that is at the point where they truly want death and is in their right mind they will not let anyone know they're suicidal, and will be able to easily pass an evaluation if someone did find out somehow.

Someone that is close enough to you for you tell them is not doing deep philosophical contemplation on it, they are worrying about their friend/loved one that is about to die.

"I'm going to kill myself" is a bombshell to just about anyone that hasn't dealt with it. You can expect they'll take action, and the police are really the only people to call when someone is about to be killed, even if it's by their own hand.

I think those truly sure about the decision will be take pains to make sure no one knows they are suicidal.

13. HawthornePassage

yeah but that hugely sucks and makes you feel like garbage

14. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

I have had run-ins with the mental health "establishment" - police, psychiatrists, psychologists, doctors, and so on. Twice. If I feared someone close to me or in fact anyone was in such a fucked up frame of mind, was irrational and suicidal I would have no qualms at all calling the police or ambulance.

I refuse to sit by idly when I can help someone. It's called "tough love". No, I don't think it would be enjoyable to restrict someones liberty, but if it helps in the long-run, then imo, it's worth it. If someone is hell bent on killing themselves they will, however, end up doing it some way or another, regardless of what anyone else does.

I would hope most people wouldn't try to "respect my liberty" if I was in such a dire state of mind that I wanted to destroy myself that they'd let me. Of course at the time I would fucking hate it, but right now I'm writing this in a rational state of mind, so yeah.

15. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

One of my therapists said if a person wants to kill themselves they will get the job done even under 24 hour suicide watch.

16. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

Hawthorne, what do you mean by "I'll probably have to wait until 2150"?

17. HawthornePassage

it doesnt help in the long run and not everyone is just in a 'state of mind', for some people its more a rationalized decision, who gave others the right to take the liberty away from someone just because they have different beliefs? you could say 'they are not in a sound state of mind' about pretty much anyone

18. This is very true, I think. One of my best friends took his own life in October of 2010. i knew about it, but even showing my concern and telling his mother wouldn't stop him from doing it.

19. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

I didn't know when my Mother was going to take her life but there was no way for me to stop it from happening... I'm sorry that your friend took his life - I'm not sure whatever you did would of stopped him. Suicide watch would of only protected him on a temporally basis, and I don't know how effective it is at stopping suicide myself...

Trevor,

20. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

Speak of the devil, I was actually in this circumstance on Saturday night. Although nothing happened in the end, I got worried that much.

If I know or have a reasonable suspicion that someones that suicidal, then sorry, but I refuse to just stand idly by and do nothing. I'll do what I can in my power to save them.

I do not know ones state of mind, so why should I assume they are being rational? What if they're drunk? Or stoned?

I'm sorry I do not wish to see a society where the emergency services are reluctant to save unconscious or suicidal people with fear of getting their bits sued off, or a society that does not wish to help a suicidal person resolve issues, if possible.

The way I see it, if there's any chance of a quality of life, then the authorities should not just let you top yourself if they have the power/means to stop it. I believe in euthanasia for the terminally ill and painful, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.